Flight Delay Falkland Islands to UK

Hi, after some advice if possible.
Recently flew back from the Falkland Islands to Brize Norton near Oxford.
The flight company Air Tanker is registered in the UK as a charter airline.
My flight was delayed by over 48 hours and I was under the assumption that there may be a possible claim that could be made.
I would appreciate any advice.
Just a quick side issue I purchased Holiday Extras platinum insurance and have been told by them that they do not provide cover for flights back into the UK.

Replies

• bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isnt this an MOD flight? I think you have no hope whatsoever to be honest
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is an mod flight although they charter the aircraft. So no compensation.
    Think yourself lucky, the last time I flew on that route I spent 2 days at Ascension as we waited for the aircraft spares to be flown out and fitted.
  • bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean you could write into the MOD and see if they give you anything.  Stop laughing at the back there!
  • edited 11 March 2020 at 12:39PM
    rick@findthatfuchsia[email protected] Forumite
    175 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2020 at 12:39PM
    It is an mod flight although they charter the aircraft. So no compensation.
    Think yourself lucky, the last time I flew on that route I spent 2 days at Ascension as we waited for the aircraft spares to be flown out and fitted.
    Can think of worst places to be delayed at. We sailed round it for 48 hours back in 1982 and was not allowed off the ship.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bet you had more than a spare pair of shreddies and a washkit though
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
     I was under the assumption that there may be a possible claim that could be made.
    first check (from Vauban's guide) - To qualify for compensation, each passenger needs to have paid a fare available to the general public
    If the general public cannot purchase tickets for these flights then you are out of luck as far as EU261 goes
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caz3121 said:
    If the general public cannot purchase tickets for these flights then you are out of luck as far as EU261 goes
    The general public can buy tickets.  They have to jump through a lot of hoops, and it's expensive, but limited tickets are available.

I still don't think that will change anything.  These flights are essentially a Royal Air Force Operational Task.  Limited seats are available as an "airbridge" to the Falklands. But it's an RAF Operational flight and passenger convenience is the bottom of the list.  Be interesting to know the reason for the delay, not that I think it will change anything. 

• bagand96 said:
    Caz3121 said:
    The general public can buy tickets.  They have to jump through a lot of hoops, and it's expensive, but limited tickets are available.

I still don't think that will change anything.  These flights are essentially a Royal Air Force Operational Task.  Limited seats are available as an "airbridge" to the Falklands. But it's an RAF Operational flight and passenger convenience is the bottom of the list.  Be interesting to know the reason for the delay, not that I think it will change anything. 
    Thank you for your responses.
    Both aircraft went technical at Cape Verde. One had a window fall out and the other which I was due to fly on had issues with the door exit lights not working.
    I don’t think I stand a chance in hell of getting Any compensation but it was worth asking the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals