New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Wills and Trusts

1 reply 44 views
cithompsoncithompson Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi.  I am new here.
Can my 2 Children be the beneficiary to my estate in the event of my death?  

I am thinking of writing a Will leaving everything to my 2 Children (Twins).  If i die before they are 18 years old, the money goes into Trust.  If i die after they are 18 years old, the money is split 50/50.  Is this a feasible option?

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but ... 

Get the will drawn up properly, and discuss the options with the solicitor who is preparing it. Who will you appoint as trustees for the twins? Who would you want to take care of them? If you are not a single parent, the the other parent might be the obvious choice for one Trustee (or might not), but the other parent might also have a claim against your estate if you make no provision for them. 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!