RBS Switch Offer - Loophole?

The latest switch offer for £175
usually if you have already had a switch offer you won’t be eligible. 

However in the Ts and Cs it says: 

You won’t be eligible for this offer if you’ve already taken advantage of a cash offer from The Royal Bank of Scotland plc (‘RBS’), National Westminster Bank Plc (NW) and/or Ulster Bank Limited (‘Ulster’) between October 2017 and
23rd February 2020 for
(i) opening a new current account and switching to RBS/NW/Ulster or
(ii) upgrading your existing RBS current account.

now I received a switch offer from RBS between this period- BUT I did not open a new account (it was an existing one) and I didn’t upgrade to a rewards account (it was already a rewards account that I switched into)

am I right in thinking I can therefore get this £175 if I switch into it?

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 March 2020 at 9:03AM

You won’t be eligible for this offer if you’ve already taken advantage of a cash offer from The Royal Bank of Scotland plc (‘RBS’), National Westminster Bank Plc (NW) and/or Ulster Bank Limited (‘Ulster’) between October 2017 and
    23rd February 2020 for

now I received a switch offer from RBS between this period- BUT I did not open a new account (it was an existing one) and I didn’t upgrade to a rewards account (it was already a rewards account that I switched into)

No. By 'upgrading your existing RBS current account' they mean upgrading to a switcher account. If you switch an account in it changes the account behind the scenes from say a Select Account to a Select Account Switcher.
  • dont be so greedy
  • dont be so greedy
    How sad that you wasted time typing that out. 
  • abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312
    Forumite
    Ed-1 said:

23rd February 2020 for

No. By 'upgrading your existing RBS current account' they mean upgrading to a switcher account. If you switch an account in it changes the account behind the scenes from say a Select Account to a Select Account Switcher.
    Wasn't aware that was the terminology that they use. Not very clearly worded given you can actually upgrade your account to Rewards, Silver or Platinum as part of the switch incentive.
  • I might try it and say that as a customer it’s not clearly worded to exclude customers in my situation
  • abz88
    Forumite
    I might try it and say that as a customer it’s not clearly worded to exclude customers in my situation
    That's what my plan is as well.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,867
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 March 2020 at 12:39AM
    Just a word of warning, make sure you have access to funds in another bank outside the RBS group: 

Have a search on here & you'll find reports that when the RBS team smell a 'gamer' they don't have a discussion - they immediately withdraw online banking facilities across the group, Nat West and Ulster Bank. 

In those circumstances, they will make you jump through hoops and take weeks/months to get your money back from the frozen accounts while they 'investigate'.

Good luck, let us know how you get on. 
  • abz88
    Forumite
    Text received from RBS this morning saying the switch bonus will be paid into my account on the 19th, will wait and see if the money arrives.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback