Finding your family history

Options
2»

Comments

• mvsdavies
    Options
    familysearch.com is a good one and free.  
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you don't know much at all , you could consider looking into joining your local family history society - who will be able to suggest some ways to get started, offer advice about which software is likely to be most useful to you etc. 
    And you will get to meet other people who are interested in family history 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • kittysnowdon
    Options
    Start first with what you know-names, dates of birth, marriage dates ,deaths. Work carefully backwards -any grandparents or great aunts still around ?-they are a mine of information (and old photos!) Head straight backwards to begin with ,double checking each bit of info (and record where you got it from, website or whatever) Trust me check everything! -the voice of experience :)  I use findmypast, Ancestry and Free BMD the most, but familysearch.org can fill in some gaps (the Mormon site ,which is free) Good luck - but be aware  - genealogy is a disease for which there is no cure :)
  • knivsta
    Options
    FiestaRed - there’s an online company that offers many free course. They have just started a six week course - you can join in now as you get 8 weeks access. It’s an excellent course run by Strathclyde university and starts with the basics. I’m on my 3rd attemp to get to the end as life always seems to stop me completing it.  Go to Futurelearn.com and look for family history or genealogy . I use ancestry and never pay full price - there’s always a half price offer around. For Scottish records you go to Scotland’s People website and it’s a pay as you go system.
    good luck and prepare to get fascinated by your discoveries and to lose sense of time when you get involved!
  • Pablo_Banez
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas on how to search German ancestors?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ancestry is probably the only source for Germany records
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas on how to search German ancestors?
    There is a board on Roots Chat that deals with European ancestors.
    https://www.rootschat.com/forum/europe/
    You will find that European records were held locally so you need to know where they came from.

If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anglo German family history society 
    https://www.agfhs.org/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income