Finding your family history

I'd love to find out a little more about my families history. Unfortunately, when I search Google, there are so many companies pop up, all claiming to be the best and, of course, all after your money. I've no problem with paying or subscribing to a company but I would like to start with one that has a good reputation.
Can anyone recommend a company or point me in the right direction please? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A good place to start, which is free,
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Which country did your family live in? eg. Scotland and Ireland are different to England and Wales.
    Most libraries have free access to Ancestry, if you have the time that is a good place to start.
    You do need to start with yourself and work backwards so the oldest family members are worth talking to.
    A word of warning you need actual evidence not some story someone has told you.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • FiestaRed
    FiestaRed Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Which country did your family live in? eg. Scotland and Ireland are different to England and Wales.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciated. My wife's parents and their families would be the main subjects. Problem is, one was born in the UK and the other in Scotland but they spent the largest part of their lives in England.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2020 at 5:51PM
    FiestaRed said:
    Which country did your family live in? eg. Scotland and Ireland are different to England and Wales.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciated. My wife's parents and their families would be the main subjects. Problem is, one was born in the UK and the other in Scotland but they spent the largest part of their lives in England.

"Problem is, one was born in the UK and the other in Scotland"
    Yes, you've got a problem, was the one born in Scotland before Scotland became part of the UK?
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2020 at 6:08PM
        Right Scotland   You do have to pay to access Birth Marriage and death records.
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/  This is the website, Scottish records contain much more information than English ones do.

If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    If you decide to go down the route of doing a DNA test, then I recommend Ancestry as with them you can upload your DNA result to other sites for free, although if you want more than a basic tree you will have to pay to become a member. There is also an Ancestry page on Facebook and a My Heritage page as well. These are both run by people and are not connected to Ancestry or Mt Heritage but they're some very helpful people on there
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You'll find a lot of helpful people at www.rootschat.com - a free site.  The posters there will guide you and will even do look-ups for you to get you on your way.

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My dad used ancestry . Com and found lots of interesting links. I'm not certain but you certainly used to be able to get a free trial and I know my local library has a membership so you could check yours. It did show up some unexpected things so be prepared! True story. I had a go and uncovered that my husband was previously married but had never told me! I do question if he ever would have, had I not uncovered it on the website. 
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Find your local family history society https://www.familyhistoryfederation.com/societies-az
    they will have heaps of advice for you.  Ancestry is usually available in public libraries, so you can test it out.

• FiestaRed
    FiestaRed Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks everyone for all the replies, help and advice, it is really appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure