New Post Advanced Search

Oil/rural inequality

6 replies 192 views
snigvansnigvan Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Penalised for rural living.
Just because we are rural doesn't mean we are rich & don't need to watch our finances
1. Rural oil customers can't benefit from 'duel fuel' discounts.
2. comparison of oil prices is significantly more challenging that gas or electric comparison.
3. Oil users are excluded from some Home insurance providers e.g. LVE Liverpool Victoria. Apparently underwriters don't like the perceived increased risk of leakage or theft.

Replies

• edited 7 March at 6:58PM
    greatcrestedgreatcrested Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 March at 6:58PM
    1. It's a minimal discount in reality
    2. Oil comparison really is not hard. Comprise a list (8? 10?) of local suppliers and clubs, and ring round or check online. Takes 15 minutes. The list hardly changes from one year to the next. And in fact it's a much easier comparison: simply price per litre, whereas comparing gas/leccie products is a highly complex mathmatical calculation involving both unit/usage rates and standing charges.
    3. Not true. I've been insured by LV in the past, and cover includes theft or loss of oil*.
    4. oil is currently very cheap - top up now!

"What’s covered?
    2. Water or oil leaking from any fixed tank, domestic appliance or pipe."
    Page 17:
    16. Trace and access
    We’ll pay up to £5,000 for the cost of removing and replacing any part of the buildings to find and allow access to the source of a water or oil leak from any fixed tank, appliance or pipe forming part of your home.

If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link.

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    snigvan said:

By "dual fuel" do you mean taking your gas and electric from the same supplier ?  Generally there is no benefit and many now have different suppliers for the two fuels.  Just put your electric into a comparison site eg CAB or Which (there are others) and see how much you can save - particularly if you are still on a standard tariff.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In many cases, dual electric and gas doesn't result in best price.   I didnt know the dual oil and electric tariffs exist.  I can't find any using google either.   So, rural doesn't really come into it.

2. comparison of oil prices is significantly more challenging that gas or electric comparison.
    Its an absolute doddle.   Postcode, lorry size and amount you want to order (some have emergency delivery or weekend delivery as options).
    If you managed to register on this site and make a post as you have then that was a lot harder.

3. Oil users are excluded from some Home insurance providers e.g. LVE Liverpool Victoria. Apparently underwriters don't like the perceived increased risk of leakage or theft.
    There are some budget home insurance policies that leave things off but that applies to many areas of their coverage.  If you buy low quality insurance then you won't be just your oil that you are shortcutting cover on.

Pricing isnt much different between rural and towns.  I just did a comparison (in a few seconds) using a town postcode and our rural postcode and the price was exactly the same.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    dunstonh said:
    In many cases, dual electric and gas doesn't result in best price.   I didnt know the dual oil and electric tariffs exist.  I can't find any using google either.   So, rural doesn't really come into it.

I think that was the OP's point - because they use oil and not gas they feel they're missing out on the dual fuel deals that those on the gas network are offered.
    However, it's almost always cheaper to get separate suppliers for each fuel, so it's a non-issue.
  • edited 16 March at 10:17PM
    smallblueplanetsmallblueplanet Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March at 10:17PM
    Try going to LVs website and starting a new quote! 

You get this: 

Before you go any further We can't insure you if the property: 

has oil-fired central heating (this does not apply if you already have home or motor insurance with LV=)
  • greatcrestedgreatcrested Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a motor policy with them, then apply.......
    If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link.