Sim Free help!

Options
Help! Ive ordered a Sony Ericsson P990i for my son for christmas and only just noticed its Sim Free. We have never had a sim free phone before can you tell me how it will work and how to use a particular network.

The blurb on the invoice says:

"Sony Ericsson - P990i - Sim Free - Unlocked - (2GBCard Included) Premium silver"

I understand the name, the model, the unlocked bit and the colour but the sim free and 2gb card is foreign to me. God job I wont be the one using it.:rolleyes:

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    Options
    It's the ideal situation. It means it will work on any network sim you use. Not sure about 3, but should be fine with anything else. Just put any sim in and away you'll go. The sim will download the necessary settings automatically. A 2G card is very useful too - can take it out and transfer information. Stores a massive amount of photos, music or whatever. Great choice. He'll be over the moon! Quite possibly has a 2 year warranty as well!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ahh so it will need a sim then?:confused: He had better like it, its cost enough!:mad:
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MilliesMum wrote: »
    Ahh so it will need a sim then?:confused: He had better like it, its cost enough!:mad:

Get a free Orange PAYG SIM here. Search and you may find other networks.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Alec_Eiffel_2
    Options
    As the other folks who've replied have said, it's the best thing!

It's not locked to any network meaning you can use any sim you like (3 is a maybe). You can either get a sim-only contract from any network you choose (O2 Simplicity etc etc) or a PAYG sim (often free or if you pay for them they're only a fiver in most network stores, a bit more from other shops) and off you go. Then if your son decides to switch network he won't need to worry about unlocking the handset to stick another sim in.
    If this has been of any use please click on THANKS, it makes me look good.
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    its good job its sim free as the branded variants of the p990i are buggy
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep, sim free, is the top of the tree, as far as mobiles go and they are at a premium to others.

You can stick any sim in the phone you like and they're pretty much all free to get.

So make sure you get him the right one. It wants to be a 3G sim card even if it is PAYG and it may actually be easier to get one from ebay than trying to get one from the networks.

You also need to work out who he will speak to most and which networks they are on, plus does he use voice, texts or data most etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure