school wont let my daughter go on a school trip but wont refund the monies

Options
Shepp66
Shepp66 Posts: 14 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
My daughter has been absent from 6th form due to ongoing health issues, genuine health issues.  They have informed her that they can not continue to keep her on the books ( she is due to take her A levels in May !! ) but have said she can continue her A levels but as a private candidate.  They then informed us that a school trip in July that she has part paid towards, she wont be able to go as she is no longer a registered student. Also they cant refund the monies already paid.   My daughter wants to go and can do the trip, surely if they are stopping her they should refund the money in this instances.  We are talking about £750 so a lot to lose.  Any one else come across this issue, I accept if you pulled your child out its your problems but in this case, the school has caused this due to not letting her stay on 3 more months !!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 March 2020 at 4:48PM
    Options
     Has she given the school a sick note from her GP to confirm her illness? 

Have you or the school got travel insurance? 
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I expect trips are non refundable, but IMO the school should make an exception here since they are the ones saying no.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Our secondary school make it clear on trip letters that we won't be refunded unless they can find another student to take the place. Likewise our scout group does the same for foreign trips. Can her place be filled by someone else?
    The reason your child won't be allowed to go I suspect is down to their insurance and as she is no longer a member of the school she will not be covered. 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2020 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Our secondary school make it clear on trip letters that we won't be refunded unless they can find another student to take the place. Likewise our scout group does the same for foreign trips. Can her place be filled by someone else?
    That's fair enough if the student/scout pulls out - in this case, the school is preventing her from going but keeping her money.
    The school should be refunding what has been paid or allowing the student to stay on the school roll and go on the trip.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Shepp66 said:
    My daughter has been absent from 6th form due to ongoing health issues, genuine health issues.  They have informed her that they can not continue to keep her on the books ( she is due to take her A levels in May !! ) but have said she can continue her A levels but as a private candidate.  They then informed us that a school trip in July that she has part paid towards, she wont be able to go as she is no longer a registered student. Also they cant refund the monies already paid.   My daughter wants to go and can do the trip, surely if they are stopping her they should refund the money in this instances.  We are talking about £750 so a lot to lose.  Any one else come across this issue, I accept if you pulled your child out its your problems but in this case, the school has caused this due to not letting her stay on 3 more months !!
    Have you appealed this?
    Can a school do this if a pupil has absences caused by genuine health issues?

Apologies if this has already been done but if it isn't I'd be fighting that rather than a trip.

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Appeal, as a private candidate you’re going to need that money to pay the exam fees.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 March 2020 at 8:27PM
    Options
    A college would do this like a shot, on the grounds that they're not now teaching her as she's not studying there. But I wasn't aware that a school could do it. Or is it an academy now, as I suspect their rights differ from a school?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Shepp66
    Options
    _shel said:
     Has she given the school a sick note from her GP to confirm her illness? 

Have you or the school got travel insurance? 
    Hi, the school have had notices and copies of the consultants letters. They did suggest we look to claiming on the insurance but at the moment she is well enough to go. Meeting them again Thursday to discuss again 
  • Shepp66
    Options
    silvercar said:
    What reason are they giving for taking her off the register? I would suspect it is because they don't want her results pulling their grade average down.
    You should appeal that. Although 6th form isn't compulsory, that age group are meant to be in school, college or apprenticeships. They can't take her off the register for no reason.
    Apparently if she goes private it does still link to the schools results.  The reason is her lack of attendance, her mental health has suffered too and struggling to concentrate. Just seems crazy for the sake of a few months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure