Forum Home» Charities

Reconciliation error on Charity accounts

New Post Advanced Search

Charities Board

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team, with limited resources, but we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand.

At this time, please note the Charities Board should only be used by registered charities and not include personal posts. I’m afraid we will have to delete any posts that aren’t from a registered charity. If you are facing personal financial difficulties at the moment, please use MSE’s coronavirus guides – they contain all the info we have and are constantly being updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

Reconciliation error on Charity accounts

1 reply 63 views
mookevmookev Forumite
44 posts
Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts
Hi all. i hope this post is in the correct forum. I have been treasurer for my local motorcycle club for 7 years. During this year, i wrote a cheque for £106.50, but in the cheque words wrote One hundred and six pounds only. The bank therefore paid £106. The person recieving the cheque was not worried, but this has created a discrepancy between the cheque stub and expenses claim form , which show £106.50, and the amount shown paid on the bank statement. As I am now preparing the end of year accounts, this will creat a 50p discrepancy between the bank balance differences over the year, compared to the balance of income and expenditure, my gut feeling is to leave it, and when I present to our AGM simply explain the error. I do not feel it is appropriate to alter the cheque stub or claim form. Another committee member suggested we show the 50p as a cash donation to the club. I would appreciate your thoughts on the correct way to proceed.  Thanks .


  • edited 3 March 2020 at 12:19PM
    Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 March 2020 at 12:19PM
    Not "donation".
    You can make a correcting entry in your expenses account as a negative expense:
    1/10/19 ANOther expenses reimbursed chq100511 £106.50<br>...<br>...<br>31/12/19 CORRECTION chq100511 paid at £106.00 -£0.50

    You should strike through the original amount on the cheque stub and put in the new amount (not altering the original amount) to show the cheque was paid at a different value to originally written.
    If you have a ledger account for ANOther put in a entry into that as well  as discount received

    Purchase Ledger
    ANOther<br>=======<br>Invoice 3411 £106.50&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; chq100511 £106.00<br>discount&nbsp; &nbsp; -£&nbsp; 0.50<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;-------&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; -------<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;£106.00&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; £106.00<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;=======&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =======<br>.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support