Oil prices

Options
Hi, just a quick query: Can anyone tell me what oil prices they've been paying recently? Just paid 39.4p / l for 1000l - thought it was expensive but a quick ring round seems to suggest that prices have shot up over the last month? :eek:
They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato

Comments

• owned_by_2_Siamese
    Options
    It certainly has shot up ! just paid 41p plus VAT (31p plus VAT in May!)
  • itsnever2lateisit?
    Options
    just paid 41.2p:eek:
    was 16p when I moved in 5 years ago
    [strike]Debt @ LBM 04/07 £14,804[/strike]01/08 [strike]£10,472[/strike]now debt free:j

Target: Stay debt free
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    It's Murphy's law! always seems to go up this time of year. I've got to start ringing round soon. Most local companies will only come if you require say a minimum of 800L. Unfortunately it always seems to fall at this time of year for us when the tank needs refilling :mad: .

I can't believe how prices have increased in the last few years......
    :wave:
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, sounds like I should've filled up when we moved in - oh well, you live and learn. At least it's not just us :rolleyes:
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Something smells about the present price of heating oil. For years I've gauged what the price is likely to be at fill-up time by taking the price of diesel, ( yes I know heating oil's nearest cousin is jet fuel), at Asda, our lowest cost local petrol station, then stripping out the 17.5% VAT and Govt tax which is at present 50.35p a litre. On this formula my heating oil always used to cost 1.2p to 1.7p, less than the without taxes cost of road diesel. However, my fill-up order on Nov 5th after comparing 5 local suppliers, cost 3p a litre more than net diesel.
    I think it unlikely that my 5 local independant suppliers have been talking to each other, but of the oil companies I'm not so sure - after all BP appear to have legal problems regarding the price fixing of heating oil in America
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    We're all being robbed! Prices quoted today 39.5-41.9p per litre + 5% VAT.
    At least they can deliver it when I want......
    :wave:
  • catford
    catford Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Options
    We're all being robbed! Prices quoted today 39.5-41.9p per litre + 5% VAT.
    At least they can deliver it when I want......

I was planning to switch to oil from solid fuel in the new year to cut our heating bills but when I phoned around for prices today I got a bit of a shock . The average price from 5 local suppliers was 43.10p a ltr:eek:---- it'll be cheaper to save the installation costs and disruption and stay with solid fuel.:D.
  • TroysMum
    TroysMum Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    I rang up on monday and was quoted £228 for 500 litres, phones up today and the cheapest i could get was £239, gone up 11 quid in 4 days, absolutly rediculous, I remember this time last year paying £180 for 500 litres!!
    Rip off britain strikes again!

Life's way too short!
    :beer:
  • dieselglider
    Options
    Just paid £399 for 1,000 litres, or 39.9p/ltr. I'd been keeping watch on the barrel prices this past few weeks, they dipped last week and the local oil suppliers then lowered their prices (from an average 42/43p/ltr) this week for a few days, although going up again as we speak...so I guess I struck 'lucky'. "HOW MUCH??" :angry:
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Back to the wood then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts