Council Tax Support - eligibility.

I have been paying Council Tax as a single person in a House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) since I moved into the privately-rented property in July 2019. I have been unemployed since June 2019, but only claiming Universal Credit since September 2019.  I have recently discovered that, theoretically, I am either exempt from paying CT or entitled to a reduction (over and above the single-person's 25%).  Unfortunately, on applying to Plymouth City Council for said assistance, I have deemed ineligible because my name is not on the account.  I have queried this with Plymouth Council staff who stated I should "take it up with your landlord".  My letting agent, working on behalf of my landlord, denies any responsibility.  

I wish to ask, am I entitled to reclaim unnecessary payments (or overpayments) and how do I go about it?  I am also attempting to convince my  letting agent/landlord that as all parties are now aware of the situation, my monthly payments should reflect this, however they are being resistant to this.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 February 2020 at 12:52PM
    You cannot claim the SPD in a HMO. Who do you actually live with?

If you are in a HMO then the landlord is responsible for the council tax. Who have you been paying the ctax too? 

Are you paying an 'all inclusive rent' or a specific amount for ctax? TBH even if it is a specific amount your Landlord will likely just change it so its part of the rent. 

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure