»

Advice on complaining to RAC

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Advice on complaining to RAC

15 replies 671 views
sarlizsarliz Forumite
6 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, I'm looking for some advice. Last week myself my OH and two children aged 6 and 8 were travelling home when I broke down on the motorway. I managed to pull into the SOS layby called RAC at 6.15pm and was told to wait outside the car and we were priority so someone would be out within 45 minutes. It was cold raining and hail stones, phone after waiting an hour and someone came out after 1.5 hours. Told problem couldn't be fixed on the road side so they would arrange a tow truck, that would be with us again within an hour. The mechanic also told us to wait in the car, I later found out that this was unsafe for us and wrong to do. After waiting another 1.5 hours they were still not there, a few phone calls to them and kept being told they were on their way. We were then towed by the motorway patrol recovery to the closest service station as we were in an unsafe place. We updated the RAC as to our location and was told someone would be with us in 1 hour. Again many phone calls and many times being told the tow truck was on it's way, 20 mins, 1 hour, 5 mins....... it finally arrived at 1.15am. 7 HOURS from the first phone call, with young children, cold and wet. We spent money feeding the child in the service station ( not cheap ) I then ended up with tonsillitis and rather poorly after this. Highly unacceptable service from the RAC. What should I do ? Any help greatly appreciated 

Replies

• KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    How long do the RAC promise to be out in in your policy?

Cold wet hungry crying child aside, tonsilitis aside, you feeding them aside, how did they actually fail in terms of their contract with you?
  • sarlizsarliz Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    They state they aim 45 mins. My issue being they lied a number of times as to when they would be there. And I think from 45 mins to 7 hours is quite a difference 
  • sarlizsarliz Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    And also being told to wait in my car by the first person who came out, this was wrong advice as it put us in more danger
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Well youre also moaning about how cold and wet you were, can't seem to win either way.

Anyway, I assume you didnt get smashed into and killed on the roadside so you cannot claim for the advice you deem inappropriate. You had conflicting advice and didnt check yourself on phones etc. You didnt come to any harm from it, there is no claim for 'wrong advice'

They 'aim' for 45 minutes, so its not a promise. They were actually with you in an hour and a half, but additional help was required.  Does the policy state a maximum time they can take? 
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    sarliz said:
    And also being told to wait in my car by the first person who came out, this was wrong advice as it put us in more danger
    Is that not advise for breaking down on hard shoulder, not a layby? And they aim to be with breakdown within 45m that's best case scenario. They were there initially after 90m. But still worth a complaint I would assume?

• mr_stripeymr_stripey Forumite
    34 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    It sounds like a pretty unfortunate experience but roadside repairs are complicated (or at least can be). 
    Whether it was the right or wrong advice to tell you to wait in / out of the car would depend on the road layout. On the hardshoulder, they would always (in my experience) tell you to exit the vehicle and wait off the road. A layby might afford a safer place to wait (especially if it was raining).
    I'd write to them and tell them of your experience. Leave out the tonsitlis bit as it is totally irrelevant and you cannot get it from waiting for a breakdown truck.
    Avoid saying they "lied" to you. The operator was probably using the best info they had at the time. They might offer some compensation for the delay and maybe the food and drink but are by no means obliged to.
    34 posts
    sarliz said:
    But did it? Perhaps the mechanic judged the layout of the layby and considered it was safe to wait in the car? But he is not a policeman - if you felt it was safer outside then you should simply have remained outside the car
  • sarlizsarliz Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well youre also moaning about how cold and wet you were, can't seem to win either way.

Anyway, I assume you didnt get smashed into and killed on the roadside so you cannot claim for the advice you deem inappropriate. You had conflicting advice and didnt check yourself on phones etc. You didnt come to any harm from it, there is no claim for 'wrong advice'

They 'aim' for 45 minutes, so its not a promise. They were actually with you in an hour and a half, but additional help was required.  Does the policy state a maximum time they can take? 
    If I was killed I wouldn't be writing this..... I'm only asking for a bit of advice I'm not trying to falsely seek anything. No need to be rude and nasty
  • sarlizsarliz Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It was the motorway patrol recovery that told us it was the wrong advice to wait in the car.
    34 posts
    sarliz said:
    It was the motorway patrol recovery that told us it was the wrong advice to wait in the car.
    I see. So it may be worth asking them why the advice was not consistent. I doubt you are due any "compensation" for this. Although you had an unpleasant experinece, fortunatley you were all ok in the end.