Changing to a meter_Many questions: How often do you pay the bill? Where do they install it?

katesheet
katesheet Posts: 216
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 27 February 2020 at 10:19AM in Water bills
Apologies to the vast questions

1) Have you had experience changing from unmetered to a Metered water meter?  ( Seven trent water)
Did it save you money?

2) Once you phone them and consider getting a water meter, how long do they take to come out and install it?

3) Do they come out physically before installing it, to come and have a look?

4) Where do they install this meter? outside in the front garden?    back garden?

5) Once it is installed, can you view this meter every month, to write down readings for your self,  to see if what water you are actually using per month?   and is this value on the  meter the same on their  computer system?

6) How does the water company monitor how much water you use, is there tracking on the meter? / or they come to your house to check the reading physically  in person ?

7) and with a meter, how do you pay? in monthly payments? or in a 1 of annual payment?

Once again, apologies to the vast questions

Can you please try and answer as many of these as you can,  (especially questions 4, 5, 6 and 7)

thanks, Kate xxx

Comments

• Hi,
    have a read here.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    1. It saved me a huge amount, with Severn Trent, as I had a high Rateable Value(RV).  It will depend on your RV and future water consumption if/how much you will save.
    2. Varies - not more than a few weeks.
    3. No.
    4. Nearest point on your property to the water main - usually at the front.
    5. Yes you can read it by lifting cover. Severn trent normally only read it(manually)  every 6 months, some can be read remotely.
    6. See 5 above.
    7. Billing is 6 monthly, but you can opt for paying by monthly Direct Debit, charges initially based on estimated consumption.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    1) Have you had experience changing from unmetered to a Metered water meter?  ( Seven trent water)
    >>YES   Severn Trent .
    Did it save you money?
    >>About 50% of RV bill .

2) Once you phone them and consider getting a water meter, how long do they take to come out and install it?
    >>A few weeks .

3) Do they come out physically before installing it, to come and have a look?

>>Yes basically to confirm it was OK then van cam next day and dropped the meter on top of the stop tap took 5 mins .

4) Where do they install this meter? outside in the front garden?    back garden?
    >Pavement front of drive on top of the stop tap   its a small disc .

5) Once it is installed, can you view this meter every month, to write down readings for your self,  to see if what water you are actually using per month?   and is this value on the  meter the same on their  computer system?
    >>To far down to see without effort .

6) How does the water company monitor how much water you use, is there tracking on the meter? / or they come to your house to check the reading physically  in person ?
    >Drive by about once per year.
    7) and with a meter, how do you pay? in monthly payments? or in a 1 of annual payment?
    >same method as RV DD twice a year .

Answers will depend upon your home and where they have to put a meter .
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,970
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Also had a meter installed by ST

Mine is in my garage - no prior visit and installed in 10 days -read remotely - easy to read myself -  also had a high RV and my bill cut by 50% - pay by monthly DD - 2 adults annual bill about £400, ST's original estimate was £500.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,100
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    With my meter they just asked if I would let the council know beforehand, I never did.
    In my area they said a few months but phoned me after 2 weeks to offer an installation a few days later.
    They just said I could have one next to the internal stop !!!!!! as I live in a flat 
    If you live in a flat they may install it just before the inernal stop !!!!!! but another flat I lived in had it out in the footpath.
    If it's installed next to the internal stop !!!!!! in the house you can view it any time to take readings, the company will send you a new bill with estimated usage for the year based on previous usage before the meter was fitted.
    You can pay monthly or yearly, I pay monthly and am nearly £100 in credit in my first year.

Just get used to using less water than they estimate to reduce your bill further don't overfill pans, take less time in the shower, always wash a full load. 

Someone please tell me what money is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport