New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Forces help to buy help

3 replies 69 views
Hi 
my boyfriend and I have reserved a house with the reservation deadline being 20th March. We have almost collected everything for our mortgage application.
We will be using the forces help to buy towards our deposit.
My boyfriend is currently away in Kenya until the 18th, back for a few days then is on another course for a few weeks. Just wondering what our first step should be in applying for this and how long this usually takes?

any help or guidance would be massively appreciated!

Replies

• Speedster2Speedster2 Forumite
    80 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper
    He needs to get in touch with his unit admin staff first thing on Monday. I doubt if they’re deployed to Kenya! Things like this need time to work through the system to be approved. A FHTB application is probably going to take at least a couple of weeks.
    Save £12k in 2014 #163: £14319
    Save £12k in 2015 #31: £12335/£10000
    Save £12k in 2016 #61 : £8220/£12000
    Save £12k in 2019 #168 : £13141/£12000 :smiley:
    Save £12k in 2020 # : £3000/£12000
    Mortgage Offset Personal Challenge & MFW £51694 / Virtual Balance £57843
  • cheeky-peachcheeky-peach Forumite
    119 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    From my experience with FHTB, it takes ages. My husband was chasing every day too and had someone pull in a favour as so many people have to sign it off. I would ge the ball rolling ASAP.
  • JustJane101JustJane101 Forumite
    111 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    I was told 6-8 weeks from application. I applied on JPA Thurs 12 March. Workflow notification the next day (But I was on standown). Printed off and actioned monday, got all required signitures by Tuesday morning (Held up by Med Center needing it in internal mail due to Covid-19). Spoke to PSF when I handed it in to them, and she faxed it off that same day to FHTB team down at JPAC (Tuesday 17th). I had a letter through the post on the 19th with my PIN saying I was provisionally accepted subject to further checks, but this allows the mortgage company to continue their checks. Will update you from here when I get anymore news  - if my mortgage is accepted that is!