»

PPI compensation & tax/benefits

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

PPI compensation & tax/benefits

1 reply 62 views
I am on ESA (support group), from April I will receive £130.65 pw, I just received compensation from Barclays bank for PPI relating to the years 1997 to 1999, they sent me a cheque for £927.13, I then had to pay the third party company who handled it a fee of £254.41, Barclays bank deducted income tax of £132.92 automatically before sending me the cheque, seeing as I do not pay income tax due to being on benefits am I entitled to claim back the £132.92 from HMRC or should I just leave it?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're below the threshold, you can reclaim it.  The interest part of the redress is treated as income, so you may need to declare that in case it impacts your benefits.