New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Cheapest Gas

17 replies 333 views
EdithgrandEdithgrand Forumite
46 posts
10 Posts
Live in northern Scotland and have huge heating bills,so looking for best deals on low priced gas,possibly with some switch incentive or cashback?

Replies

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look at the Comparison sites such as Citiizens Advice, Which -  even the MSE Cheap Energy Club.  You will need to know your annual consumption (in kWH's) - ignore the savings quoted as they will against your present suppliers standard tariff not the on you are on.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Biscuit_TinBiscuit_Tin Forumite
    505 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Live in northern Scotland and have huge heating bills,so looking for best deals on low priced gas,possibly with some switch incentive or cashback?
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/

505 posts
    ✭✭
    Robin9 said:
    Look at the Comparison sites such as Citiizens Advice, Which -  even the MSE Cheap Energy Club.  You will need to know your annual consumption (in kWH's) - ignore the savings quoted as they will against your present suppliers standard tariff not the on you are on.
    There is no possibilty of switch incentive or cashback going via Citiizens Advice or Which.

Please refer to the link I posted above.
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If bills are huge, a few £ cashback is going to get lost in the noise vs finding the cheapest unit rate.
  • edited 27 February at 10:11AM
    Biscuit_TinBiscuit_Tin Forumite
    505 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 27 February at 10:11AM
    Every penny helps ...

The cost is high because of the location; it will be comparatively high whatever supplier is used.

More advice on how to save money (by reducing consumption) available here:
    https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/home-energy-scotland

• TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, but is cashback available on the cheapest rates? I don't think I could have got cashback on my recent Gulf gas switch.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talldave said:
    Indeed, but is cashback available on the cheapest rates? I don't think I could have got cashback on my recent Gulf gas switch.
    When I decided on my recent switch, I would have had to pay at least £80pa more, to qualify for a cashback deal!
    505 posts
    ✭✭
    Talldave said:
    Did you check all the options in the llink above?

And not everyone uses up to 60,000 kWh of gas per year as you claim.

The average is just 12000 kWh pa
  • edited 27 February at 10:35AM
    Biscuit_TinBiscuit_Tin Forumite
    505 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 27 February at 10:35AM

Talldave said:
    When I decided on my recent switch, I would have had to pay at least £80pa more, to qualify for a cashback deal!
    Good to hear that you bothered to check all the possibilities first :smile:

However, as MSE Martin has always said, do not base your switch decision on possible cashback, as it is only guaranteed once it lands in your bank account.
    ... but if you could get it on the best deal for you, it's a nice Brucie bonus !
    (You pay the same tariff whether you get the cashback or not, so it's just "free" money if you can)
  • edited 27 February at 11:19AM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February at 11:19AM
    Robin9 said:
    There is no possibilty of switch incentive or cashback going via Citiizens Advice or Which.

Please refer to the link I posted above.
    As you are aware, MSE's CEC (MoneySupermarket) does not show all suppliers, despite its Holier Than Thou claims to do so, and despite parent company MoneySupermarket being Ofgem accredited.  The Consumers Association and Which? sites DO show all suppliers.  Which? uses Energylinx which also has exclusive deals, but Which? has the advantage of not defaulting to show only sponsored tariffs.
    The best advice is to use CA and Which?, perhaps a few more Ofgem approved sites as well if you have time, and then see whether the cheapest tariffs can also be found on CEC etc with cashback.  For the maximum chance of finding the best deal you also need to try separate gas and electricity suppliers.  Similarly, if you have an E7 meter you need to see whether single rate is cheaper.
    However, cashback has to be paid for somehow, and obviously that's ultimately the consumer.  When the market comprised only large companies, cashback may have been available with the best deals, but with all the new smaller competitors that's unlikely still to be true.  Bulb may give £50 to referrers and new customers, but that £100 burden helps to explain why they're seldom the cheapest.