New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Leaving Virgin Media

6 replies 111 views
Times_Are_HardTimes_Are_Hard Forumite
10 posts
Second Anniversary First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
When I took out a contract with Virgin Media, they took an advance payment, which is apparently what they do.
Well after 18 months, I gave 30 days notice. They sent me a revised bill for 24th Jan to 9th Feb (cut off date).
Latest direct debit payments have been:
Oct 1st, Nov 1st, 2nd Dec, 2nd Jan
I can understand a final bill, but what would the advance payment be for? Thanks.

Replies

• dcfc67dcfc67 Forumite
    125 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    is the 24th when you joined Virgin 18 months ago (start of contract) and I presume you left on 9th Feb
  • Times_Are_HardTimes_Are_Hard Forumite
    10 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Yes, sorry, forgot to include installation date of 24th Jan a few years ago.
    I gave 30 days notice this 9th Jan.
  • cranfordcranford Forumite
    690 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I have just had my bill for the 26 Feb until the 25 March and the DD wont be taken until the 16 March. The bill is in advance but the payment is only 2 weeks in advance.  Bills are available using the online account facility.
    You need to check when your first  bill was and when the first DD was made  in 2019.  I would think that it was in Feb 2019. Then you can expect to pay 18 full months plus half a month from the 24 Jan until the 9 Feb. This last payment may not carry any discounts that you had in the first 18 months.
  • edited 27 February at 1:39PM
    Times_Are_HardTimes_Are_Hard Forumite
    10 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 27 February at 1:39PM
    Contract start date was 24th or 27th/12/13 and VM took £105, monthly payment on 27th every month followed.
    Advance payment is within the £105.
    Last time I paid direct debit was 2nd Jan 2020. VM are saying final bill is for 24th Jan - 9th Feb 2020.
    I gave 30 days notice on 9/01/20.
    Am I correct thinking I don't owe anything?
  • MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I correct thinking I don't owe anything?
    I think you need to contact Virgin for clarification..
  • cranfordcranford Forumite
    690 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The DD payment on the 2nd Jan is for the bill 24th December to the 23rd January. So you have to pay the final bill 24th January to the 9th February. 
    Look at the 24th December bill and it should show you the DD payment date as will the 24th January bill.