Esure rob dogs

Options
GS..
GS.. Posts: 220 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 26 February 2020 at 2:28PM in Insurance & life assurance
Just moved home and informed 62527262626 people we have accounts with our new address and Esure were the only rob dogs that charged me £26 admin fee for keeping them informed. Some of the other accounts actually went to extraordinary lengths to help us carry on using their service. And yep, or new address is a lower risk so it was purely admin fee, for typing my new address in. Worst thing was the when I told the advisor the same she just carried on reading her script about other services I might be interested in, and it wasn't until I stopped her and asked if she was listening because I've just said I won't be buying any of your services any more and I won't be carrying on with this one when it expires. I know it's common practice for car insurers to extort an admin fee for answering the phone, but is such a cartel even legal when other businesses manage to update customer details without robbing them. It's there any ombudsman I can point this exploitation out it to?
{Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You agreed to the charges when you took put the insurance, so how have you been exploited?

Other insurance companies are available which don't charge admin fees, especially f you submit changes online.  Seek them out next time around.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    insurance cos are notorious for this - £26 whilst infuriating is fairly low, although to be fair the charges have actually come down in recent years.  If you need insurance you are never going to win.  They either charge you more or they charge you to make changes.
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    I think "bargain" car insurance is dreadful. My son changed his car and they wanted to charge him £500 to switch it! I am with Aviva and if ever I or my husband change cars it is about £30 (it is usually newer but similar) anyway, he cancelled on principle and started from scratch with Aviva, I don't remember the name but it had "red" in it.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You have a choice. Explicit charges where those who incur costs pay them; or companies with higher rates where such costs are included. Unfortunately, we don't get to win on the swings and the roundabouts. If you didn't have a mid-year alteration, would you feel it fair to pay for those who do?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • GS..
    Options
    Not at all. I informed lots of "insurance
    companies" of my change of address including actually buildings and content, breakdown insurance Yadda yada, but ONLY Ensure robbed me!
     badmemory said:
    insurance cos are notorious for this - £26 whilst infuriating is fairly low, although to be fair the charges have actually come down in recent years.  If you need insurance you are never going to win.  They either charge you more or they charge you to make changes.

{Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • GS..
    Options
    Yes but you're talking about a change in premium cover for a totally different car which you expect to pay, and not just an admin fee
    I think "bargain" car insurance is dreadful. My son changed his car and they wanted to charge him £500 to switch it! I am with Aviva and if ever I or my husband change cars it is about £30 (it is usually newer but similar) anyway, he cancelled on principle and started from scratch with Aviva, I don't remember the name but it had "red" in it.

• GS..
    Options
    Your point is a fleeting one you can direct at absolutely any market.
    My point, on the it hand, is that every other of 527257226262  businesses seemed to amend my address without charging me, which suggests just CAR INSURANCE companies are jointly ripping people off
    You have a choice. Explicit charges where those who incur costs pay them; or companies with higher rates where such costs are included. Unfortunately, we don't get to win on the swings and the roundabouts. If you didn't have a mid-year alteration, would you feel it fair to pay for those who do?

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    daveyjp said:
    Other insurance companies are available which don't charge admin fees, especially f you submit changes online.  Seek them out next time around.
    As said here, I am with Direct Line they may be slightly dearer but they do not charge any admin fees for policy amendments.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

It's just different pricing models.

• Some insurers / businesses incorporate the cost of dealing with address changes in their base monthly or yearly price. (So you could say that people who don't change their address are subsidising people who do change their address.)

• Other insurers split it out as a separate cost - which is only paid by people who actually change address.

I guess the pricing model is one of the factors you should take into account when choosing your insurer (alongside the likelihood that you will change your address). 
  • GS..
    Options
    Nope
    Keep repeating,  I've changed my address with dozens of companies including insurances, but ONLY THE CAR INSURANCE COMPANY scammed meeddddy said:

It's just different pricing models.

• Some insurers / businesses incorporate the cost of dealing with address changes in their base monthly or yearly price. (So you could say that people who don't change their address are subsidising people who do change their address.)

• Other insurers split it out as a separate cost - which is only paid by people who actually change address.

I guess the pricing model is one of the factors you should take into account when choosing your insurer (alongside the likelihood that you will change your address). 

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure