We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Santander 123 making a hacker's life so much easier (Feb 2020)
Comments
-
Louiscar said:born_again said:
Security in many ways is how hard you make it.
>>Image and passphrase - to ensure you didn't click a bogus link<< If someone had access to your computer it would be a easy task to spoof the image.This I think is more designed for those that may respond to emails that purport to be from Santander or whatever bank. If successful they will get your ID and pin. Even though the 2FA is in place it will still be a privacy issue.I'm however less concerned about this personally as I never respond to such emails but given that this method is still highly active must mean that a lot of people still get caught out by it.As mentioned in the previous thread, the image and phrase doesn't work even for phishing scams. The fake site can just collect the userid and then scrape the correct information from the real santander online banking during the login process. As you say, 2FA wouldn't defeat that either, because the customer is expecting to provide this and will do so on the fake site.It does seem an odd decision to use the 5 digit PIN rather than the complex password though.0 -
By way of update on my posts on the previous thread, my trick of using uBlock origin to avoid the new login page no longer works.However, I'm now being asked for userid, 5 digit PIN, and SMS code in order to log in. So 2FA at login is now live (it wasn't when I last checked).0
-
Wonder if they are trialling the 2FA login.masonic said:By way of update on my posts on the previous thread, my trick of using uBlock origin to avoid the new login page no longer works.However, I'm now being asked for userid, 5 digit PIN, and SMS code in order to log in. So 2FA at login is now live (it wasn't when I last checked).
As I just tried on back of your post.
Went via google link to Santander site and was only asked for 5 digit PIN.Life in the slow lane0 -
born_again said:
Wonder if they are trialling the 2FA login.masonic said:By way of update on my posts on the previous thread, my trick of using uBlock origin to avoid the new login page no longer works.However, I'm now being asked for userid, 5 digit PIN, and SMS code in order to log in. So 2FA at login is now live (it wasn't when I last checked).
As I just tried on back of your post.
Went via google link to Santander site and was only asked for 5 digit PIN.Quite possibly, as I now see this:
Edit: and working again now, still with 2FA for me.0 -
Just logged in and still using the number / password / pin / picture & word. MrsM still using the old original number / full pin and picture & word.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
Using a bookmarked link / history item in your browser, or by going to the main santander.co.uk website and clicking the Log On button on the top-right?molerat said:Just logged in and still using the number / password / pin / picture. MrsM still using the old original number / full pin and picture.
0 -
I've just logged in & had to use the OTP by SMSTall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.0
-
Just logged in with username and 5 digit PIN, after which I needed to authorise the log-in through mobile app (fingerprint). 2FA. I don't see the problem.0
-
Nope still going straight in with just 5 digit code. No 2FA here. Still using a google search for santander & link of their site. So is not a bookmarked link..
Weird.Life in the slow lane0 -
Still logging in the "old" way; ID no. ,piccie and phrase ,characters from password and from PIN0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
