SSE have broken into my home unlawfully

I got home from work today to find a letter from SSE in my house addressed to the previous occupier that said they have a right of entry warrant.  They have moved my stuff around in the cupboard under the stairs but they haven’t made any changes to the meter.  SSE have known since January that there have been a change of occupiers; it is all in email correspondence.  I have yet to receive a bill from SSE because they keep addressing post to the previous occupier so I keep sending the letters back.  I am absolutely flabbergasted they have broken into my house but I don’t know how to act i.e. do I phone the police, do I take the matter to court?

Comments

• Update:  I emailed SSE and someone from their complaints section has phoned me twice this evening and has verbally said in so many words that they are at fault and asked me how much would I like to be compensated as they want to make a goodwill gesture.  I said I can’t put a price on someone breaking into my home and not only that, my kids were in the same room when I took the first phone call when I was upset and shouting down the phone and I said I’ve just put them to bed whilst they’re asking me questions about the phone call because they’re worried and I said how can I put a price on that.  They were apologetic and said he will liaise with relevant departments and will offer a goodwill gesture tomorrow.  He then asked if I will be pursuing legal action and I said I don’t know, I need to think about it.  I’ve never been in this situation before so I don’t know how to act.  At the moment I’m livid and feel very stressed.
  • A consultation with a Solicitor would hopefully answer all your questions and if you can get the 'Free' half hour session which a lot of Solicitors offer these days then you might be on a winner. 
  • SSE at that moment in time did have legal entry into your home - later admitted to be in error.  Police will not do anything, but a solicitor will have a nice time getting you a pay out.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    There have been a number of similar cases reported on MSE over the years.
    As said above the police will not get involved.
    I wouldn't build up your hopes of a big payout. SSE have made a mistake, but you haven't lost any money, and you haven't reported any damage.
    I would listen to their goodwill offer tomorrow and then decide if it is acceptable or take legal advice. I would guess a couple of hundred pounds would be the figure.

• Go in big and ask for a cost of the mortgage being paid off/new home  :p
  • emmajhs said:
    I got home from work today to find a letter from SSE in my house addressed to the previous occupier that said they have a right of entry warrant.  They have moved my stuff around in the cupboard under the stairs but they haven’t made any changes to the meter.  SSE have known since January that there have been a change of occupiers; it is all in email correspondence.  I have yet to receive a bill from SSE because they keep addressing post to the previous occupier so I keep sending the letters back.  I am absolutely flabbergasted they have broken into my house but I don’t know how to act i.e. do I phone the police, do I take the matter to court?
    (my highlighting above)

So on what basis do you assert have they entered your home unlawfully, as you assert in this thread title?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    emmajhs said:
    Are you sure that the meter hasn't been changed? Are you on pre pay? If so ,they may have loaded debt onto the meter. Can't understand them actually employing a locksmith to "break in" and then not doing anything??
  • emmajhs said:
    Update:  I emailed SSE and someone from their complaints section has phoned me twice this evening and has verbally said in so many words that they are at fault and asked me how much would I like to be compensated as they want to make a goodwill gesture.  I said I can’t put a price on someone breaking into my home and not only that, my kids were in the same room when I took the first phone call when I was upset and shouting down the phone and I said I’ve just put them to bed whilst they’re asking me questions about the phone call because they’re worried and I said how can I put a price on that.  They were apologetic and said he will liaise with relevant departments and will offer a goodwill gesture tomorrow.  He then asked if I will be pursuing legal action and I said I don’t know, I need to think about it.  I’ve never been in this situation before so I don’t know how to act.  At the moment I’m livid and feel very stressed.
    (my highlighting above)

What have they admitted exactly?

That they entered your home in accordance with the court issued entry warrant?

Or that they acted illegally (and presumably therefore conspired with others such as a locksmith) by breaking and entering into your home ???
  • Cardew said:
    There have been a number of similar cases reported on MSE over the years.
    Really?
    Have any been proven?
    If so, would that make them a 3 striker and therefore subject to a mandatory three year minimum prison sentence? (Maximum sentence of up to 14 years imprisonment?)
  • SSE at that moment in time did have legal entry into your home - later admitted to be in error.
    No and they even said over the phone they acted unlawfully because they were acting upon a debt with the previous occupier.  They knew about a change of occupier (there is proof in email correspondence) hence why they phoned me twice yesterday evening to settle the matter with an apology and a goodwill gesture.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure