New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Holiday company asking for £££

13 replies 431 views
Samuel12345Samuel12345 Forumite
9 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Good afternoon,

Long story short, I booked a last minute holiday with a holiday company mid Feb, paid on credit card. £3300. Come back off holiday, holiday complete, great time. I’ve received an email off them asking for £750 more. They tried taking payment, but it didn’t go through as I lost my card out there. Checked CC statement and they only charged me £2600 for the holiday. 

Obviously I understand I owe them it, but this is a huge error and I almost begrudge paying it after the event. Does anybody know where I stand with this?

Thanks for your help. 

Replies

• edited 24 February at 2:41PM
    bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 24 February at 2:41PM
    OK, the obvious question here is why did you not question it at the time? If someone took £700 less or more for anything, I would spot it straight away.

Or, did you spot it, say nothing thinking you had got away with it, and now it has come back to bite you?
  • Hermione_GrangerHermione_Granger Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    OK, the obvious question here is why did you not question it at the time? If someone took £700 less or more for anything, I would spot it straight away.

Or, did you spot it, say nothing thinking you had got away with it, and now it has come back to bite you?
    And a cynical person might also think that the lost and cancelled card was a ploy to avoid the rest of the payment being taken!
  • Samuel12345Samuel12345 Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    - CC statement arrived after the holiday, so I only picked up on it at that point. 
    - I gave you facts, I’m looking for advice, it’s that simple really. Card was lost abroad, reported and dealt with. 
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the cost of the holiday was clearly stated at £3000 and you've only paid £2600, then you owe Love Holidays the difference. It's that simple really.
    Are you prepared to have the company chase you for the money you owe through the legal system and all that that entails?

9 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for your help. I have made several phone calls to them, but I’m constantly on hold. They keep sending me the same automated email every day. I won’t be wasting my time calling them anymore, if they want the money they can get in touch with me. Thanks to the lovely and friendly forum members for their help. 
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    But will you be receptive and hand over payment with no fuss when they do get in touch? 
    This sounds like a very easy way to get a Small Claim put in against you; so I'd be careful!
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't pay the balance the company will most likely take it to the Small Claims court and if / when you lose that will go on your credit history.  You have no legal or moral grounds for not paying.
    9 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Like I said in the OP, I really don’t mind handing over the payment, but they are going around it in the wrong way. They need to admit their error and actually get in touch with me, not just send me automated emails every morning at 9AM. 

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said in the OP, I really don’t mind handing over the payment, but they are going around it in the wrong way. They need to admit their error and actually get in touch with me, not just send me automated emails every morning at 9AM. 

You also say you almost begrudge paying it 'after the event' (or after you've had the enjoyment of the holiday).
    Have you tried 'live chat'?
    Or just leave it until Love Holidays escalate the non-payment.
    You've been told more than once what is likely to happen if it gets to that stage.
    9 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Correct, but I will pay it. I was just asking a question, not sure why everybody is so defensive on here. I haven’t been told anything more than once, no way to pay the payment. They need to call me so I can pay over the phone. You guys need to relax. It’s not your money!!