Charged for minibar we didn't use

Hi all,
Just got back from a trip to New York. On check-in the hotel took a credit card for the security deposit. We've just noticed that after we departed the hotel charged the credit card about £30. We emailed the hotel and they replied with a blank email attaching an invoice attributing this amount to 'mini bar' with no further explanation.
We did not take anything from the mini-bar (never do - far too expensive!). I remember opening the fridge door just out of interest, laughing at the prices and closing it again without even touching anything.
We've replied saying we didn't take anything from the minibar so please return our money. Where do we stand? Booked through Virgin Holidays so will get them involved if necessary but just feeling very annoyed. Any advice?
Thanks,
BSW

Comments

• Raise dispute with CC provider. 
  • MrsCatz
    MrsCatz Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello, when were in Vegas the minibar was so touch sensitive that we were warned on check-in, we would be charged even if we didn’t rake/ use anything. As the right one said, you need to dispute this with your credit card company. 
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Over the years I have experienced similar. I think it must be fairly common.

Await the reply from the hotel or the credit to appear on your credit card. I would suspect they will just refund the disputed amount.

If after say 30 days no response or refund direct to your card then just raise a dispute with your credit card company. 
  • I have been conned in the past especially in New York charged for movies and mini bars, that I never used. I know email before staying at the hotel to ask for the mini bar to be emptied or locked. Therefore receiving no surprises on check out! 
  • BSW89
    BSW89 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks all. We'll await a reply from the hotel and if we don't get anywhere we'll contact the CC company. 

I have been conned in the past especially in New York charged for movies and mini bars, that I never used. I know email before staying at the hotel to ask for the mini bar to be emptied or locked. Therefore receiving no surprises on check out! 
    ^^ Good idea - might start doing this!

• bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I find the 'charge' normally just drops off my credit card.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why did this not get discussed at Checkout before you left? If the room was prepaid then at checkout you should have been given an invoice showing it as paid and nothing owing.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 February 2020 at 4:52PM
    mgdavid said:
    Why did this not get discussed at Checkout before you left? If the room was prepaid then at checkout you should have been given an invoice showing it as paid and nothing owing.
    What happened is standard procedure for a great many hotels.
    Even if it was prepaid, there would be no way of knowing if there was anything due at checkout until the room had been inspected otherwise anyone could empty the mini bar and walk off with all the towels and bed linen knowing that the hotel couldn't charge them at a later date.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Several years ago as we checked out of a hotel in France I went back to the room to check we hadn't left anything behind and found the door open and visitors from another room were in there taking stuff from the fridge!
    It turns out that the cleaners supervisor wedges open the doors of departed guests so the cleaners know they have to change the bedding etc in those rooms.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mgdavid said:
    What happened is standard procedure for a great many hotels.
    It's standard procedure only if you allow it to be. I have always gone to reception with the key, and asked for a closing invoice. They then have a choice to either have the room checked there and then, or take the guest's word for it. Either way I obtain a final closing invoice receipted as Paid, and that is the end of the matter.

The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure