»

Never changed supplier.

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Never changed supplier.

16 replies 284 views
RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
3.6K posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
Talking to my in-laws the other day and they have never changed gas or electric supplier. 
My FIL is adamant that he isn't interested and is happy with what he has and refuses to discuss it further.

Would anyone know who their current suppliers would be and what sort of tariff they would be on.

It would have been MEB back in the day.

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    22.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most expensive standard tariff at a rough guess.
    According to Wiki, they are now Eon.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    nPowers Standard tariff  - electric 17.5 p and 25p/standing charge.

For accurate info look at their bill.

Never pay on an estimated bill
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Talking to my in-laws the other day and they have never changed gas or electric supplier. 
    My FIL is adamant that he isn't interested and is happy with what he has and refuses to discuss it further.

Would anyone know who their current suppliers would be and what sort of tariff they would be on.

Why do you not ask MiL for copy of latest bills? But if FiL is not interested in saving any money why worry/bother, not your problem?
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    PS get his actual consumption and do the sums -  he may be tempted.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • edited 22 February at 11:28PM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    44.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 February at 11:28PM
    He may not want to change supplier, but you could still persuade him to change tariff, as he'll be on Standard Variable tariff The difference between Eon's SVT and their cheapest fix could be up to £300.
    Try handing him 30 nice new crisp tenners and inviting him to tear them up, as that's what he is doing, every year.
    A lot of people, not just elderly, still think that their house will need rewiring, or that they will lose their supply during the switch. About 60% of households are still with the legacy supplier.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Brewer20Brewer20 Forumite
    248 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have the same problem, well not my problem.
    When I mention to a mate that I pay £52 per month for dual fuel and he pays more than that just for his gas he still won't entertain doing a comparison to get on a better tariff. He says I've always been with British gas for my gas and Eon for the electric. The conversation has come up twice between us, more recently they, Eon have somehow messed his latest bill up but he's sticking with them. As above says he must think they rip the house to fit there own pipes and cables :D In other areas of his life he's always looking for a bargain or discount on stuff. :s
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My m-I-l won't change. She is still with B.G and S.W Electricity. I tried to persuade her several years ago, but she is a low user and won't entertain it as she said the savings aren't worth the bother!!
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've learnt over time that sometimes it's best to just let them get on with it if they aren't interested. Not worth getting into an argument over.
  • DawnCrushDawnCrush Forumite
    202 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Your Father In Law sounds like he is the account holder and would be aware of who supplies him and presumably what tariff he is currently on.
    However, he has already told you "he isn't interested [in changing] and is happy with what he has and refuses to discuss it further."

nPower are the legacy supplier for the MEB region as regards electricity.
    British Gas are the legacy supplier for all gas supply regions.

• Biggus_DickusBiggus_Dickus Forumite
    824 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Robin9 said:
    PS get his actual consumption and do the sums -  he may be tempted.

My old dad was like that;...very stubborn,...it took me ages to convince him that he’d save ££££’s by switching,...and this was a chap who’d spend all morning complaining about the cost of the lettuce he’d just bought from Tesco !

I eventually did the switch for him online;...he couldn’t smile wide enough when he saw his bill drastically reduced.

“you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink!”...well perhaps you can,... eventually,...but it’s not always easy.  :*