Options
2»

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BooJewels said:
      We're just trying to do my husband's application and it's soul destroying.  He has incurable cancer and he's deteriorated significantly in a few weeks and yet, reading the guidance notes and descriptor details, it's very possible that he won't get anything, even the daily living component.  

It's possible fatigue may come into it. If your husband does tire very easily - then this is the route to go. Explaining on almost every activity that due to the effects of cancer it takes him a long time to do the activity, he struggles to do it to an acceptable standard, he is easily exhausted and cannot repeat the task as needed. Tell them if there are points in the day when due to exhaustion he is unable to preform the activity (i,e that he cannot do that PIP activity at a particular part of the day even if he may wish / be required to do it - there is case law about this aspect of PIP). Repeat this on most of the activities - Preparing food, washing, dressing, budgeting, moving around etc

It is to be expected that your husband will suffer depression as a result of the prognosis. So put this in the form, and explain that he needs prompting with the PIP activities including - Engaging with people, budgeting, planning a journey, taking medication, preparing food, washing, dressing, budgeting, etc.  

Because it is very emotionally difficult completing the form in those truly unfortunate circumstances, I would echo calcotti's suggestion that you do get help with the process. Even if you complete the form yourself, a Macmillan /  CAB adviser will be able to help you deal with any further issues around a PIP claim. 
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've started a new thread and have quoted you there Alice, so that it doesn't hijack Star's thread from the help she needs.  But thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure