PIP - Moving Around

Hello everyone, I’m just looking for some advice/clarification. I’m filling out a PIP form and on the moving around question. I suffer from chronic migraine which occurs more than half of the month, I’m under neurological care and my medication is ever changing to try and find something that works, I have also been referred to the pain clinic as I have no pain relief.

When I do not have a Migraine I am able to move around and have no difficulties in moving around but when I do have a Migraine moving around exacerbates the pain in my head and it pounds for upto 12 hours and makes me bed ridden, along with other side effects of dizziness, blurred vision, light sensitivity, nausea etc. 

My question is, I feel like it’s pointless filling this question in as I’m not wheel chair bound? and I get the impression that is more who this question is aimed at? even with a wheelchair I wouldn’t be be able to move around during Migraine, there’s no aids that would help me move around during Migraine. Should I still fill the question in? 

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 February 2020 at 2:09PM
    Definitely.
      I can't recall case law relating to the effect of migraines on this activity.
    But it obviously impacts on your ability to do this activity safely and when required.
    If this occurs on the majority on days it's very possible it may score points.

Regardless it is worth putting in as it adds to the consistency of the form, and paints a full picture for the DWP Decision Maker (and a tribunal panel should it come to that).   

I have just found this sample reply from the Brain Charity website, who have a PIP guide you will find very helpful:
    "Q2 Moving Around – this examines your ability to use your legs to move around independently on a regular basis. This usually applies specifically to those who have conditions which affect their spine/legs and use either a wheelchair or other aids to mobilise independently. In the case of CH, you can argue that you fulfil this criteria if your balance, gait and coordination are affected for the majority of the time due to the exhausting nature of the pain and recovery times you experience. If you use walking sticks, crutches, wheelchairs or walk around your home using furniture to steady yourself, state this clearly. If you do not feel safe to walk even short distances along the street and spend most of your time at home resting, it would be fair to assume that you do not regularly move for distances longer than 10-20m at a time, based on the size of an average home. If you were active before having CCH, mention this and any effects the change in lifestyle may have left you with – loss of muscle/tone, bedsores, limb weakness, shortness of breath when walking short distances, chronic fatigue, weight gain etc.
    Example answer: During Cluster Attacks I am not able to walk at all, my balance, coordination and control are severely impacted, I am in excruciating pain, and I have to stay in one place on the oxygen. There are occasions when an attack comes on so suddenly at such a severe level that I cannot then get to my oxygen in the next room as I simply drop and roll in agony in a foetal position on the ground. I get injuries due to disorientation, stumbling, banging into things, tripping. After attacks, during recovery I am dizzy, disorientated, confused and bone ache tired. Although I have become physically able to walk a few steps I am not able to safely walk around much at all until I am fully recovered. I am frequently confined to my bedroom or living room as I am too debilitated to even walk around at home."
    https://www.thebraincharity.org.uk/images/how_we_can_help/practical_help/Cluster-Headaches-PIP-Guide.pdf

I would also answer the planning a journey section, as 8 points are needed for a mobility award. 4 points from each mobility section would bring you an award. The guide I linked to will give you some ideas on how to complete this section as well.
    The moving award Q is more related to physical disabilities, and migraines do have a physical cause.
    The planning a journey Q is more related to anxiety, depression, cognitive functions,  and emotional distress. So emphasis these affects when answering this mobility activity Q, try to give a different slant to the physical Q.

Reliably is very important in PIP - to an acceptable standard, when required, in a reasonable time period, safely, etc
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831253/PIP-assessment-guide-part-2-the_assessment-criteria.pdf
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    From one of the advice sites
    >>

PIP Q14 – Moving around

This question is about you standing safely without help and if you can walk safely

PIP Q14a – How far can you walk taking into account any aids you use? To give you an idea of distance, 50 metres is approximately 5 buses parked end to end.

PIP Q14b – Do you use an aid or appliance to walk? Walking aids include walking sticks, walking frames, crutches, and prostheses.

PIP Q14c – Do you use a wheelchair or similar device to move around safely, reliably and repeatedly and in a reasonable time period?

PIP Q14d – Extra information - Moving Around

Talk about any aids you use, rest breaks you need, pain, the time it takes to move around, accidents and other risks. Do you need someone to help you? Do you regularly fall? Do you find it difficult to move around on certain ground surfaces? Do you use a wheelchair? Is it motorised or manual? Do you experience any other difficulties, either during or after the activity, like pain, breathlessness, tiredness, dizziness or anxiety?

>>

So add in how your Migraine effects your mobility. Such as Not being to get out of bed when you have one.

Life in the slow lane
  • star54321 said:
    Hello everyone, I’m just looking for some advice/clarification. I’m filling out a PIP form and on the moving around question. I suffer from chronic migraine which occurs more than half of the month, I’m under neurological care and my medication is ever changing to try and find something that works, I have also been referred to the pain clinic as I have no pain relief.

When I do not have a Migraine I am able to move around and have no difficulties in moving around but when I do have a Migraine moving around exacerbates the pain in my head and it pounds for upto 12 hours and makes me bed ridden, along with other side effects of dizziness, blurred vision, light sensitivity, nausea etc. 

My question is, I feel like it’s pointless filling this question in as I’m not wheel chair bound? and I get the impression that is more who this question is aimed at? even with a wheelchair I wouldn’t be be able to move around during Migraine, there’s no aids that would help me move around during Migraine. Should I still fill the question in? 
    Yes absolutely most definitely tell them everything, especially the part about there being no aids to help. Don't forget that not being able to do it more than half the time applies to planning and following journeys too.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    star54321 said:
    It’s aimed at anything that limits ability to walk. Most people getting mobility awards are not in wheelchairs.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Thank you for your help everyone, I think I’ve just read so many horror stories that even people in wheelchairs are turned down or given hassle so it makes me think that it wouldn’t even be considered unless having a wheel chair. It’s quite difficult having to fill in this one size fits all form. 
  • calcotti
    star54321 said: It’s quite difficult having to fill in this one size fits all form. 
    Although it has flaws it is intended to capture the huge variety of difficulties people experience through a range of representative activities. Unfortunately capturing mental health impacts is the hardest to do.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Just wanted to say thank you for this thread and advice comments. As a consequence of my condition I struggle with extreme fatigue and exhaustion resulting in migraines / illness. I didn't realise that this was a possible angle for the "Planning a journey" section, but can see that if correctly described and worded then yes I claim and evidence a descriptor in this section. Thank you.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    star54321 said:
    It’s quite difficult having to fill in this one size fits all form. 
    I know, I feel your pain.  We're just trying to do my husband's application and it's soul destroying.  He has incurable cancer and he's deteriorated significantly in a few weeks and yet, reading the guidance notes and descriptor details, it's very possible that he won't get anything, even the daily living component.  

So I wish you luck.  I get modest daily migraines (and this new site is one of the culprits, I've had to install an add on to darken the display) so I can only imagine how debilitating and unpleasant bad ones are.
  • calcotti
    BooJewels said:
    He has incurable cancer and he's deteriorated significantly in a few weeks and yet, reading the guidance notes and descriptor details, it's very possible that he won't get anything, even the daily living component.  
    You could contact Macmillan and see if they have benefits advisers in your area who can help you with the form.
    I hope this is not the case, but if husband's live expectancy is short there is a rapid claim process under Special Rules. You would need a form called a DS1500 from his medical team to support such an application.
    Incidentally, if you ring PIP they will grant you a two week extension to the return date if you need it.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    calcotti said:
    You could contact Macmillan and see if they have benefits advisers in your area who can help you with the form.
    I hope this is not the case, but if husband's live expectancy is short there is a rapid claim process under Special Rules. You would need a form called a DS1500 from his medical team to support such an application.
    Incidentally, if you ring PIP they will grant you a two week extension to the return date if you need it.
    Many thanks.  Macmillan are already helping me, over the phone - no one close enough in person - but they've been fabulous.  I'm filling in a draft version and then they'll go through it with me in a day or two to fine tune it.  I hope he doesn't need a DS1500 - I haven't actually asked and as one hasn't been offered, I'm taking that as a good thing.  Have also already extended it, as the form took 2 weeks to arrive and when it did he was back in hospital for a few more days, so we needed it, but it's still dashing past alarmingly fast.  It's just heartbreakingly frustrating trying to describe things that reading the guidance, they won't care about anyway.  Doesn't mean that they don't make our lives difficult and unpleasant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure