New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Banning the sale of coal

15 replies 489 views
2»

Replies

• DawnCrushDawnCrush Forumite
    220 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    molerat said:
    Does this then mean the end to steam fairs and steam railways etc unless they can find a suitable alternative.  I suspect many could turn to the alternative coals but at increased cost.
    Not sure if you've been asleep, but the running of steam trains was banned by British Railways over 50 years ago - 12th August 1968 to be precise.

Special dispensation arrangements are agreed for a few 'heritage' runs only.

This proposed ban relates to the sale of coal for domestic purposes. I can't see any heritage railway would ever have been popping down to Wilkos etc for a bag of house coal to run their engines on :D
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DawnCrush said:
     I can't see any heritage railway would ever have been popping down to Wilkos etc for a bag of house coal to run their engines on :D
    True! but Wilko's will deliver :)

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cardew said:
    DawnCrush said:
     I can't see any heritage railway would ever have been popping down to Wilkos etc for a bag of house coal to run their engines on :D
    As demand drops for domestic installations, it will not be economic to bring in coal supplies. So yes no more steam fairs or steam railways.

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • NerdlingerNerdlinger Forumite
    22 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    As I am buying by the pallet already, I wonder if I could import coal by the pallet and bypass the ban.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hasbeen said:
    Cardew said:
    DawnCrush said:
    As demand drops for domestic installations, it will not be economic to bring in coal supplies. So yes no more steam fairs or steam railways.

Mercifully, this ill thought out ban does not affect commercial supplies. Steam locomotives and traction engines do not use the same coal as domestic users and the supply will continue as before., To highlight the amateurism and stupidity of this government, as it announced the ban it was also granting planning permission for a new coal mine to be opened in the UK!