»

Ex married me to get in to UK for the citizenship.

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Ex married me to get in to UK for the citizenship.

12 replies 1.9K views
This discussion was created from comments split from: 800K to 1.2 illegal migrants in the UK.

Replies

• khanelinakhanelina Forumite
    3 posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi. I don't know if I am posting it in the right category or not. I need advise, I just found out that my ex married me to get in to UK for the citizenship. I have left me with two kids, he says I don't want the kids and you might as well put them in the foster care. He has a lot of issues, mental ones. He drinks heavily and do drugs like cocaine. He works as a career and I am sure he is not fit for this type of roles as he may be compromising vulnerable adults health and well being. As I said he has british citizenship but not the passport yet. My question is can his citizenship be taken away? If so how to I go about. 

Thank you in advance for all the advise.
  • WillimS2020WillimS2020 Forumite
    529 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    khanelina said:
    Hi. I don't know if I am posting it in the right category or not. I need advise, I just found out that my ex married me to get in to UK for the citizenship. I have left me with two kids, he says I don't want the kids and you might as well put them in the foster care. He has a lot of issues, mental ones. He drinks heavily and do drugs like cocaine. He works as a career and I am sure he is not fit for this type of roles as he may be compromising vulnerable adults health and well being. As I said he has british citizenship but not the passport yet. My question is can his citizenship be taken away? If so how to I go about. 

Why are you asking MSE posters for advice on such a serious accusation, assuming your post is genuine you should be contacting the relevant people, why haven't you contacted his employer's? why haven't you contacted Home Office? for advice.
    We know you can't be the 85 year old gran with the 35 year old toyboy, because she's too old to have kids, but there are plenty of young idiots out there who fall for these sweet talkers, then once they get married and get over to the UK, whooooosh they're gone, sorry  I've got no sympathy for them, they deserve all they get for being gullible.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khaneline
    Yes, you probably have posted in the wrong place.
    Maybe this board would be more appropriate:
    Are you and your children safely housed and have sufficient money to live on?
    I would say that is a priority for you before trying to get your husband sacked and possibly deported.

• WillimS2020WillimS2020 Forumite
    529 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Pollycat said:
    Khaneline
    I would say that is a priority for you before trying to get your husband sacked and possibly deported.

Khaneline, says 'ex' so no saying she isn't making it up because he's gone off with another woman, and the woman scorned bit is at play, however it all sounds a bit phoney to me. 
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat said:
    Khaneline

Khaneline, says 'ex' so no saying she isn't making it up because he's gone off with another woman, and the woman scorned bit is at play, however it all sounds a bit phoney to me. 
    Some people say 'ex' when they are just separated.
    Some people say 'husband' or 'wife' when they're not actually married.
    I like to give posters the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise.
  • thorsoakthorsoak Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat said:
    Khaneline

Pollycat has been posting on these boards for a long time - and like me, has learned not to judge too quickly.  I would go with her instincts and experience (27.5k posts) in giving advice rather than immediately call the OP a troll.  
  • AmaraAmara Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    khanelina said:

He has a British citizenship? So he doesn't need passport, it's only document needed, when you want to travel abroad.
    Did he go through whole obtaining citizenship procedure? As above, call Home Office for advice.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 34 750/150
    Gaining assets :T
  • FireflyawayFireflyaway Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Staying long enough to have 2 kids and actually having 2 kids seems pretty far fetched just to get citizenship. My guess is he is just saying these things out of spite to get at you. He is also financially responsible for the kids so it doesn't make sense for him to 'burden' himself like that unnecessarily. I know someone who married someone to get citizenship. He picked an older woman. I think she may have even suspected it was a sham. As others have said, a passport means nothing, it's just a document allowing you to travel. Many UK citizens never have one. Personally I see little point reporting to the Home Office because it would be very hard to prove he married you for citizenship. As for the safeguarding concerns I'd contact the safeguarding team at the local authority and pass on your concerns. 
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can divorce him, after that it shouldn't matter to you what his citizenship status is.
    If you were together long enough to have two children together than it is likely that whatever he says now, he had reasons other than wanting citizenship in the first place. 
    If you believe that he presents a risk to vulnerable people in his role as a carer then you can of course inform his employer or the local authority, and they can investigate if they feel it is necessary.  That is totally separate from any issue of his immigration status.

Do bear in mind though that lots of people use drugs recreationally, and drink heavily - if he is doing those things in his own time, and is not under the influence or hung over when he is working, then there is no reason to assume he can't do his job perfectly competently. 

Divorce him, if you haven't already (which will be far easier to do if he is in this country and you know where he is!) 
    Apply to the CMS if he isn't paying maintenance for the children
    Forget him and move on

All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    21.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Staying long enough to have 2 kids and actually having 2 kids seems pretty far fetched just to get citizenship. My guess is he is just saying these things out of spite to get at you. He is also financially responsible for the kids so it doesn't make sense for him to 'burden' himself like that unnecessarily. I know someone who married someone to get citizenship. He picked an older woman. I think she may have even suspected it was a sham. As others have said, a passport means nothing, it's just a document allowing you to travel. Many UK citizens never have one. Personally I see little point reporting to the Home Office because it would be very hard to prove he married you for citizenship. As for the safeguarding concerns I'd contact the safeguarding team at the local authority and pass on your concerns.