New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Pension credit and income

4 replies 181 views
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place, please move if necessary.
I am semi retired, self employed, live on my own and don't get full pension as not enough stamps. At the moment, I work and claim working tax credits but my work has reduced and when the next tax year starts I will be struggling to do 16 hours a week to get my WTC.  I am being encouraged to stop working and claim Pension credit instead.
I am led to believe that as I don't get full pension, I would be entitled to my council tax paid too. 
I am on standard rate PIP. 
I would really like to do some work if possible as I enjoy what I do but am being led to believe that I would not be able to if I claim pension credit, is that true please?   
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• calcotticalcotti Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    use a benefit calculator to check your entitlement https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

if you get the Daily Living part of PIP, live alone and no one gets Carer's Allowance for looking after you then you will ge entitled to a Severe Disability Addition in your Pension Credit calculation. Pension Credit will then top your income up to £233.10/week. 

You can claim Pension Credit and work but you will need to inform DWP about your earnings and your Pension Credit will be reduced by whatever you earn. Financially there would therefore be no benefit working but this would give you the flexibility to do unpaid voluntary work instead if you wanted.

Council tax Reduction can be claimed from your local council. If you get Pension Credit you will be entitled to have your Council Tax paid in full by CTR. You may already have entitlement to some CTR.

If you rent your home you can also claim Housing Benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • OddjobOddjob Forumite
    473 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    calcotti said:
    use a benefit calculator to check your entitlement https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

if you get the Daily Living part of PIP, live alone and no one gets Carer's Allowance for looking after you then you will ge entitled to a Severe Disability Addition in your Pension Credit calculation. Pension Credit will then top your income up to £233.10/week. 

You can claim Pension Credit and work but you will need to inform DWP about your earnings and your Pension Credit will be reduced by whatever you earn. Financially there would therefore be no benefit working but this would give you the flexibility to do unpaid voluntary work instead if you wanted.

Council tax Reduction can be claimed from your local council. If you get Pension Credit you will be entitled to have your Council Tax paid in full by CTR. You may already have entitlement to some CTR.

If you rent your home you can also claim Housing Benefit.

Thank you very much for your help.  I spoke to someone from AgeUK but they said they had only dealt with one person who was self employed and wanted to carry on doing some work.  They said it was very complicated as the money would not be a set amount per week.  
    It looks like it would be better if I didn't work, or just did an occasional job and declared it when I did it - or would I be better to just keep a record and declare it at the end of the year?  I already do a lot of voluntary work.  
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oddjob said:

Thank you very much for your help.  I spoke to someone from AgeUK but they said they had only dealt with one person who was self employed and wanted to carry on doing some work.  They said it was very complicated as the money would not be a set amount per week.  
    It looks like it would be better if I didn't work, or just did an occasional job and declared it when I did it - or would I be better to just keep a record and declare it at the end of the year?  I already do a lot of voluntary work.  
    There is guidance in how self employment is treated in this document
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/721827/dmgch86.pdf
    See paragraph 86200 onwards.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.