Claims Guys - no LOa

Options
Hi, received quite a few payments including a couple from same bank. I received a two letters from bank on same day some of them saying saying there was a problem with the Letter of Authority on a particular claim as the Claims Guys had not been able to provide appropriate LOA and they would only be dealing directly with me, and claims guys have been advised of this. I had been contacted by the bank directly and given them all the info assuming this was the normal thing to happen.  They are now chasing me for fee. The only reason they know how much I received was they happened to ring on the morning when I opened two envelopes one they had dealt with and the one I am speaking about and I didn’t realise til I read the letters that they had not been able to pursue one of them even though they had found I had ppi. I understood that once found there was a choice anyway if you used them. They have now sent notice of action. They have, after I had received the payment, sent LOA for me sign, which I haven’t, and the letter states they do not have a signed and dated LOA. They also sent a letter saying that having received a copy of the decision letter I owe them, but of course they do not have this. They also send bill saying they investigated and applied for ppi refund on my behalf which they didnt as Santander didn’t engage with them at all. Santander said that the LOA they sent was not dated or signed and I should contact FCO if they continue to harass me, but can they still take me to court, with only me saying on the phone how much I had received being being their only proof of what I had received. Thank you for any help you can give.  They did send me a copy of another LOA and says this covers all accounts but the point is that the one they sent to Santander for this particular claim wasn’t signed or dated.  Help please. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 February 2020 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Send a complaint to the Claim Company disputing their right to a fee as they failed to send a completed LOA. They will have eight weeks in which to consider your complaint, after which (or if they reject) you can refer to the Ombudsman. 

While they can technically take you to court, they have a very weak case without a signed LOA..

Good luck.. 
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    Options
    As above. Send them a letter, not a text....What other LOA do they have?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • cba123
    Options
    They had several several signed,  each one had one bank and one account number at the bottom where you signed but abovee signature in small print it says its gives authority to search for any account anwhere anytime. Obviously the one they sent to Santander wasnt dated or signed anyway.

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2020 at 2:33PM
    Options
    You need to check your T&Cs to see if they could represent you in ANY complaint.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure