Forum Home» Energy» LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels

Moving Warm Air Heating Boiler - Urgent

New Post Advanced Search

Moving Warm Air Heating Boiler - Urgent

3 replies 31 views
Good morning all,

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but seemed the most appropriate place.

I'm looking to offer on a property today that has warm air heating. I have no issue with this as I grew up with it.

My problem is the boiler is smack bang in the middle of the kitchen on a wall made just for it. So intrusive, ugly and space wasting.

My question is how expensive would it be to move the boiler to a wall in the kitchen, no more than 6-7 ft away, and have it enclosed in a cupboard?

Has anyone any advice on this? I've searched 30-40 pages of google and found nothing relating to it.

This cost will reflect my offer price so keen to know ASAP.

Thanks all

Replies

• edited 17 February at 5:14PM
    st999st999 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 5:14PM
    My question is how expensive would it be to move the boiler to a wall in the kitchen, no more than 6-7 ft away, and have it enclosed in a cupboard?
    Has anyone any advice on this? I've searched 30-40 pages of google and found nothing relating to it.
    Thanks all
    You won't be able to do it.
    It cannot be enclosed.
    I used to have warm air heating that was originally enclosed in a cupboard.
    It had a vent in the floor for ventilation and a vent in the door.
    I got it serviced every year from SG.
    It was OK for the first year or so then I got a notice stuck on the door keep closed at all times.
    Next year or so told to remove the door.
    Another year or so passes and I was told to put a vent in the outside kitchen door.
    Then I built a garage on the side of the house so the next year I was told to put a vent to the outside in the kitchen wall.
    The only outside wall was the wall where the sink was and it had built in cupboards.
    No problem, remove a cupboard door and put a vent in that place.
    First cold winter in Scotland and standing in front of the sink doing the washing up, the draught was horrendous. 
    The kitchen ended up about 5 deg C lower in temperature than the lounge and I had to keep the kitchen door to the lounge closed all the time.
    So I covered up the hole.
    Then came the next service and I wasn't there at the time and hadn't removed the blocking from the vent.
    Came home to the gas turned off and a big notice stuck on the heating do not use, dangerous, or something like that, and the wife freezing.
    I promptly ripped the notice off and turned on the gas and heating again and remembered to unblock the vent for next time.
    Then I decided to replace it with a combi and radiators.
    Never looked back.
    Heating quieter with no more warm air being blasted out of vents and a saving of over 4000 kWh of gas a year.
    75 years old and still here.
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    st999 has confirmed what I thought - don't do it.  Either don't buy a place with warm air heating (it's awful) or budget for replacement with a more conventional boiler & radiators setup.
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mrcawdell said:
    Good morning all,

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but seemed the most appropriate place.

I'm looking to offer on a property today that has warm air heating. I have no issue with this as I grew up with it.

My problem is the boiler is smack bang in the middle of the kitchen on a wall made just for it. So intrusive, ugly and space wasting.

This cost will reflect my offer price so keen to know ASAP.

Thanks all
    As others have said it will be virtually impossible to move. Best new combi/central heating.
    Would say you can reflect this in your offer price, but other bidders might be happy with warm air and bid accordingly.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon