New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Living in a caravan

15 replies 1.1K views
Bankruptcy is looming and when landlord sold our house we moved into our caravan to minimise expenditure. 
We are registered to vote at sons house but couldn't live with him as no room.
Does anyone have experience of filing for bankruptcy whilst living in a caravan?
Building a new life after bankruptcy

Replies

• edited 17 February at 7:02PM
    GalloglassGalloglass Forumite
    322 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 17 February at 7:02PM
    Removed ...
    Money Advice during Covid from Money Advice Service here
    Benefits Calculator here. Tax Credits (WTC/CTC) will be removed if you apply for UC. Take care. 
    Debt - Post up your Statement of Affairs (SOA). Online form here
    Employment contract issues. Ask ACAS here 
  • MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure it matters where you live as long as you have an arrangement for receiving mail.  However, assuming that the caravan is intended as a temporary situation, you might want to consider moving before you declare BR as obtaining a tenancy immediately after being made BR is likely to be problematic.  
  • MTDancerMTDancer Forumite
    242 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Cant get another tenancy as no money for deposit. More worried about the receiver taking our caravan as it is our only accommodation 
  • Minkym00Minkym00 Forumite
    328 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I know of a situation where a bankrupt lived on a houseboat. I believe it was classed as a home rather than an asset in bankruptcy but I will try and find out what happened with it and let you know. 
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would it be classed as a family home?
    Is there an outstanding loan on it?
  • MTDancerMTDancer Forumite
    242 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    No loan and, yes, our home
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think it will be treated as your family home, and as such they have 3 years to deal with it.
    This is just my thought I have no experience sorry
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    140 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Why not contact a debt help agency? I used StepChange 0800 138 1111. They know all there is to know about debts and bankruptcy. It costs nothing and they may be able to help you.
  • Minkym00Minkym00 Forumite
    328 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭

Sorry, I meant to look into this for you. So far as a caravan is concerned, this would depend on the extent to which it was fixed to the ground and connected to mains services.

A ‘touring’ caravan wouldn't fall under the definition of ‘dwelling house’ for the purposes of the Act as it is mobile. A caravan could be a dwelling house if the wheels are removed and/or it is fixed to a permanent base or stabilising struts and if it is connected to mains services (e.g. electric/water) and cannot easily be detached. This would generally be called a ‘static’ caravan.

A mobile home could be a dwelling house if it occupies an area which is owned or let for the specific purpose of providing permanent occupation and has a significant degree of immobility. Generally, mobile homes are transported on lorries, rather than towed as a caravan.

• GalloglassGalloglass Forumite
    322 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Minkym00 said:

Sorry, I meant to look into this for you. So far as a caravan is concerned, this would depend on the extent to which it was fixed to the ground and connected to mains services.

A ‘touring’ caravan wouldn't fall under the definition of ‘dwelling house’ for the purposes of the Act as it is mobile. A caravan could be a dwelling house if the wheels are removed and/or it is fixed to a permanent base or stabilising struts and if it is connected to mains services (e.g. electric/water) and cannot easily be detached. This would generally be called a ‘static’ caravan.

A mobile home could be a dwelling house if it occupies an area which is owned or let for the specific purpose of providing permanent occupation and has a significant degree of immobility. Generally, mobile homes are transported on lorries, rather than towed as a caravan.

I'm going to disagree with this one. For licencing purposes, the site will be either be defined as residential or as holiday by the local authority. The fact the OP cannot receive mail is a strong indication that it is a holiday park with some form of break i.e. not twelve months. So it is not a "home" as defined by the LA. So far, so good.

However the IS have a different take. They consider if it is used as a home then it is in effect  a home for their legislative purposes. The fact that the OP may be in breach of using it as a home on a non-residential site is of no concern to them (though may be of concern to the licencing authority)

Would suggest to the OP he has a conversation with his/her advisers or with the IS on this point.
    Money Advice during Covid from Money Advice Service here
    Benefits Calculator here. Tax Credits (WTC/CTC) will be removed if you apply for UC. Take care. 
    Debt - Post up your Statement of Affairs (SOA). Online form here
    Employment contract issues. Ask ACAS here