Advise resolving billing problems with scottish power - taken to ombudsmen but they havnt helped

Options
Ive found that the energy ombudsman has not helped me to get my billing problems with scottish power resolved ...i had been trying with scottish power directly for 2 years to get an itemised bill from them as they started sending me random bills with different account numbers for thousands of pounds ...when i was paying by direct debit.... ..i had been paying between £1300 -£1700 per annum for both electric and gas for the previous 4 years until the billing started going wrong ... scottish power say i owe them £3,600 per annum for gas only....i went to the ombudsman with these bills and showing my energy consumption has not changed over this time but they have not helped me ... and they have not helped me get an itemised bill from scottish power so I can try and clear this up... i will need to decline the ombudsmens  offer of £100 compensation when the problem hasnt been solved.....Where can i go next to get this problem solved ..any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As this is OIL and LPG ask for your post to be moved .

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where can i go next to get this problem solved ..any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    I would try the energy forum as this is Liquid Propane Gas and Oil
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    ...Where can i go next to get this problem solved ..any advise would be greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your next step would be to go to the Small Claims court. Provided your claim isn't judged to be frivolous each side pays for their own costs, which are not high as the plaintiff.
    However bear in mind that you can only claim for monetary losses, not the hassle often experienced in these sort of disputes. Also  the Ombudsman's decision will not help you.

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they are saying that you owe them money, you can wait until they take you to court. At that point if they can't provide proof that you owe them the money (via valid bills), they will have to stop chasing you for it. Can you move away from Scottish Power, to another energy provider? If so, Scottish Power will not able to make your life more difficult than it already is. 

If they prove that you owe them this money, you will need to pay when you go to court, so start saving now. If they can't provide any evidence, you can spend what you have saved. They will have to produce evidence in court to show actual meter readings you provided, and the applicable tariffs and the dates these tariffs changed for you throughout the period.

If you have your old bills, I would make your own record of when the tariffs changed for you  and compare it to their version (when you see this). Any calculation of what you owe is going to be inaccurate because while they will know the tariff, your consumption is in dispute, so the court will have to make a judgement of the applicable tariff for periods when there is no actual meter reading. If you can get Scottish Power's calculation when they start the court case, you might be able to use the data to come up with a calculation you can both agree on before any hearing. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure