»

Mcdonald's Voucher not honoured

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Mcdonald's Voucher not honoured

26 replies 1.6K views
AhsenShahAhsenShah Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello good people,
I hope someone can help me? I Recently visited my local Mcdonald's with an "E-Voucher". Having ordered my food on the "SELF-SERVE" kiosk the kisok accepted the "E-Voucher" and subsequently asked for my card for payment which it debited from my account and issued me with a TICKET to collect my food.
Upon waiting 10 minutes the duty manager approaches me and said he would not honour the "E-Voucher" and offered me a refund?
Am I correct in thinking he has broken a consumer / Sales of goods law by not honouring the voucher AFTER the money was taken out of my account?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think you're correct. They can correct a mistake. 
  • JReacher1JReacher1 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this the well known McDonald’s scam where you can put a code into the kiosk and get discounted food when you are not actually entitled to it?
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    64.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    JReacher1 said:
    Is this the well known McDonald’s scam where you can put a code into the kiosk and get discounted food when you are not actually entitled to it?
    Strangely I was only reading about this yesterday on a different forum where people had been using codes they weren't entitled to and McDonalds had suddenly stopped accepting them as a goodwill gesture due to abuse of the system. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • edited 15 February at 10:53AM
    steampoweredsteampowered Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 February at 10:53AM
    Did you intentionally try to use a voucher you  knew you weren't entitled to use?

If so, that's fraud. The manager could have called the police if he was so inclined.
  • ThumbRemoteThumbRemote Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you intentionally try to use a voucher you  knew you weren't entitled to use?

If so, that's fraud. The manager could have called the police if he was so inclined.
    Please do tell us what criminal law has been broken by someone attempting to use a discount code to which they are not entitled?

What are the punishments, 3 months inside for sharing a Meerkat code; 6 months for getting a student discount after you've graduated?
  • powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Please do tell us what criminal law has been broken by someone attempting to use a discount code to which they are not entitled?

What are the punishments, 3 months inside for sharing a Meerkat code; 6 months for getting a student discount after you've graduated?

Section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006 springs to mind.
  • brisbris Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not just pay the extra 50p and be done with it, it's a burger !!!!!! what exactly are you hoping to achieve? You want someone to help you? Please pick your battles.
  • AhsenShahAhsenShah Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    JReacher1 said:
    No the code is real and not a scam. I think he objected to the fact I ordered 8. Which may be much but we do have 6 children.
  • AhsenShahAhsenShah Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie

No it's not fraud. The voucher is real. And has been used quiet a few times from friends and family as well as other members of the public. It has an expiry till Dec 2020 on it. If they wish to withdraw the voucher they should simply block it from their central database?
    I think the duty manager was more offended that I ordered 8 Fillets and fries. But we do have 6 children. 

• UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006 springs to mind.
    Indeed!
    It was once called "attempting to obtain a pecuniary advantage by deception"!