Recommend a reward card for me

Options
Just cancelled my Amex gold after the free year as I don’t have the spending power to make the £140 fee worth it. 

I’m after a new reward card for my day to day spending.  Tesco Clubcard not an option sadly as already got a balance on one of these from a 0% purchases offer that I used to pay for a car. 

HSBC keep writing to me pushing theirs, anyone use it?  Any good?

Comments

• onwards&upwards
    Options
    Thanks, but i’m Not eligible for the new customer offer so not as good a deal as it would be.
  • sadiedoll
    sadiedoll Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2020 at 11:27PM
    Options
    Having just got an HSBC Purchases Plus card, the only thing I can flag up is the terrible online banking system - it is like something out of the 90s. Generous credit limits, though.

Can't you hold 2 Tesco cards? You certainly used to be able to. 

• onwards&upwards
    Options
    Good point, I’ll check!  I fill up at a Tesco so would be useful 
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2020 at 11:54AM
    Options
    I think you'll find the Tesco debit card is better than their credit card for Tesco purchases, but they're now both fairly useless outside Tesco. The last time I checked the non-Tesco rate was 0.125% but it's effectively lower because purchases of less than £8 don't count; AFAIK petrol and in-store purchases have the same rate, but with the debit card it's £1 = 1 point whereas the credit card is £4 = 1 point. It's all extremely complicated because the basic Clubcard rate of £1 = 1pt also applies.

A further quirk is that my Tesco credit card is a World Mastercard, which is probably why find it's £2 = 1 point rather than the published £4 = 1 point (plus the basic Clubcard rate). I also get 800 Avios instead of 600 for £2.50 in vouchers, but Avios are largely a waste of time compared to the old Air Miles scheme.

So the verdict is that a Tesco debit card is useful for Tesco petrol and in-store but useless elsewhere, and the Tesco credit card is useless everywhere !
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Thanks for that!  
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Thanks, but i’m Not eligible for the new customer offer so not as good a deal as it would be.
    I didn't know that you had to be a new customer to take out a different Amex card.
    One lives and learns.

• dcfc67
    dcfc67 Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a look at Virgin Mastercard, Earn Virgin miles for free flights/upgrades. Introductory offer for new cardholders to boost miles.

Also you can earn extra miles by shopping online or converting Tesco Clubcard vouchers
  • Umiamz
    Umiamz Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I didn't know that you had to be a new customer to take out a different Amex card.
    One lives and learns.

You don't - you do have to be a new customer to get the bonus 5% rate, though.
    Also, you can 'downgrade' a card to a different one if you call customer services.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    I think you'll find the Tesco debit card is better than their credit card for Tesco purchases, but they're now both fairly useless outside Tesco.
    So the verdict is that a Tesco debit card is useful for Tesco petrol and in-store but useless elsewhere, and the Tesco credit card is useless everywhere !
    Be good if they were accepting new customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure