Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

What's the best £1 you've ever spent?

Replies

• MSE_ChrisMSE_Chris MSE Staff
    148 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MSE Staff
    MSE_Becky said:
    Where did you buy your Milk frother from?
    I bought it from IKEA for £1! :)
    Manual wire whisk?
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/produkt-milk-frother-black-50301166/
  • edited 18 February 2020 at 8:13PM
    tbootboo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 18 February 2020 at 8:13PM
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41
    Jar £260.31/£667.95 and Bank £278.35/£667.95

• I_luv_catsI_luv_cats Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telescopic back scratch'er (gets to every part of itch and no need to be like Baloo lol)
  • andy984andy984 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I play this game - 'The £10 Challenge' and once a month me and the other half play bargain hunters. We'd buy bits and bobs from library's, charity shops, car boot sales etc and try and sell them on to see how much they're worth. I recently paid £1 for a rare Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone hardback. I knew they were rare but this one turned out to be First edition / 4th print with JK's full name printed. Anyway, I put it on ebay for £50 because it had a few scuffs but after the week was done, I was £220 better off! (After fees, just under £200) and this alone has pretty much paid off my car insurance. I always put my ebay funds towards my car insurance so I have fun paying it off. Best £1 find so far! 
  • ShirleykateShirleykate Forumite
    12 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    In 1966 I bought a set of Charles Dickens books at auction for £1. Used them for propping ladders, pressing flowers etc. Last year, flicking through Great Expectations, I found an authentic autograph of Dickens himself, cut from a letter and pasted in.  I sold the autograph on e-bay for £200. Fifty-three years to wait but a good investment I think. And I've still got the books!
  • edited 24 February 2020 at 2:41PM
    n15hn15h Forumite
    148 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 24 February 2020 at 2:41PM
    Bought a brand new Amazon Echo Dot for £1 from Amazon! Arrived next day thanks to Prime, and now my mum can have her favourite radio station playing from sitting on top of the microwave.  Plus it cleared out some space on the worktop as the bulky cd/radio player has been put away and there's no more static noise to hear anymore :) Plus I can send messages to the Echo Dot through the Alexa app which add a bit of fun/cheer to the day :)
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared - Buddha
  • TheITBodTheITBod Forumite
    20 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Did we ever get a snap of that frother?
  • TheITBodTheITBod Forumite
    20 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    n15h said:
    Bought a brand new Amazon Echo Dot for £1 from Amazon! Arrived next day thanks to Prime, and now my mum can have her favourite radio station playing from sitting on top of the microwave.
    Glad she enjoys the radio but tell her sitting on top of the microwave will do her no good!
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    £1 ish spent on special delivery of a cheque for share purchase just before the deadline  .
    Check £500   end result £1500 .
  • bluesboybluesboy Forumite
    2 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I bought a DVD in a charity shop for £1 and sold it for £50 on Amazon.
    I also bought a futon for £1 on EBay which I used  for many years.
This discussion has been closed.