Forum Home» Debate House Prices & the Economy

Why are house prices in London so more expensive than the north

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Why are house prices in London so more expensive than the north

32 replies 1.5K views
Will HS2/ Other high speed trains mean midlands/ northern properties prices go up?

Replies

• annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    958 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Potentially depending on the successful roll out of HS2 but I really can't see 20 minutes quicker to/from London having a significant impact, certainly not to meet the average prices in London. 
    It may be that the more affluent areas in the north feel the benefits first and then the natural ripple effect will spread out to other areas. 

I'd imagine someone more knowledgeable will be along and point out some flaws in my thoughts before long
  • Getting_greyerGetting_greyer Forumite
    238 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Probably not for another few decades. Although it will increase demand and output in the economy.  What this will do to inflation/interest rates who knows.
  • Gorge_WaltonGorge_Walton Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It all depends on the economy of the country.
  • movilogomovilogo Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look at population density and then search for number of jobs available around London, then compare with the same in North. 
    There lies your answer.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • ZeroSumZeroSum Forumite
    366 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It'll be 50 years before HS2 comes north or even HS3 happening
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • timeism0neytimeism0ney Forumite
    142 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Probably,.. but very slowly. As it stands, not a lot of people can secure high enough paying jobs in the North to be able to afford anything remotely like London prices and those that do actually commute to London (not everyone's cup of tea). 
  • ZeroSumZeroSum Forumite
    366 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Probably,.. but very slowly. As it stands, not a lot of people can secure high enough paying jobs in the North to be able to afford anything remotely like London prices and those that do actually commute to London (not everyone's cup of tea). 
    A lot in London can't. That's why so many young professionals end up in HMO's.

Personally, you'd need to quadruple my wage before I'd even consider London
  • mobileronmobileron Forumite
    634 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Its the real ale,proper fish and chips,Rugby league it drives us all to travel South and tell you what your missing.
  • swaledale_oneswaledale_one Forumite
    67 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    London is unbelievably, eye-wateringly expensive and will continue to be for many many years as people keep wanting to work and live there which is absolutely fantastic for us northerners. 
  • renegadefmrenegadefm Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt live in London if you payed me. Probably the worst city in the UK.