repeated message from microsoft to "Please update your credentials for your microsoft account"

Options
I often have to go abroad, when I do this causes microsoft to repeatedly send me the above message and my emails fail to sync. Is there anything that i can do to stop this happening.  I have repeatedly but unsuccessfully tried to contact microsoft about this.  Can anyone suggest why this is happening and does anyone know how to get to speak to an actual person at microsoft?  Many thanks to anyone who can help. Kje

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    What are you using , a phone, a PC or a tablet or a local PC. You could of course use a VPN , but shouldn't need to.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So how are you syncing your email?  Outlook?  Pulling them in to Gmail/Yahoo/another Outlook account?  Some other way?

• womble12345
    Options
    I get that message all the time too in Windows 10 on my desktop PC that has never moved, I dont think it is to do with going abroad. I will be interested in any solutions as well.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I get the same, daily, message. I just ignore it but it IS very annoying.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Go to Setting -  Accounts - Email & accounts - Scroll down to 'Accounts used by other apps' - click on your MS account - click on 'Remove'. This should work after a restart.

Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • ktj
    ktj Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, rumrat,  Would this not just remove my Microsoft account?  I'm not really sure why I need a Microsoft account.  Don't you need a Microsoft account in order to have outlook e-mail addresses?  As is probably obvious I am not very Tech savvi and i don't really understand the inter relationships of microsoft, outlook, drive, google, gmail etc.etc. so many thanks to anyone who can help me get to grips with it all.  kje.
  • RumRat
    edited 13 February 2020 at 11:48PM
    Options
    Yes it would remove your MS account, which is what people are trying to do. 
    If you use the W10 'Mail' app for your email client then yes you still need the account details retaining. I have removed mine and still run One Drive. I also pick up my Hotmail messages via eM client and have no need to add the MS account to the PC.
    Google drive, gmail, etc. are a separate entities and  do not need any MS accounts to work.
    The method I put up earlier to stop the messages people are getting may not work for everyone.

A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • ktj
    ktj Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi RumRat, Thanks so much for taking the time to help.  I don't use one drive it seemed to use up too much space on my mobile phone (which is synced to my laptop) so i'm a bit wary of getting rid of of my microsoft account.  I am very jealous of your obvious understanding of how these things work it all still a mystery to me so i may just have to admit defeat and put up with the irritating messages!!  Anyway thanks again for your kindness.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're not "getting rid" of your MS account, you're simply turning it off as a login to windows 10. You can still use the account to login to your emails, etc.
  • RumRat
    Options
    As neimcll says, you won't lose your MS account, It's merely a way of signing into your PC. Getting mail etc won't be affected.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills