Cancelled Sky Q - Do they have to have the box back?

I have decided to cancel Sky Q and use Freesat instead as couldn't justify spending £76 a month for TV, but they have asked for the box back.  Is this correct?  I thought that when you take out Sky Q you pay a fee for the box at the start?

They have sent me packaging to send it back, but just wondering if anyone ever does send them back?  I was hoping to use it still as a Freesat box, but if I have to buy one then I will.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 February 2020 at 4:04PM
    The box belongs to them so you need to return it.

You can choose not to, but they can charge you a non return fee, so work out if it's worth it for a second hand box.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-not-returning-sky-q-equipment
  • Thanks for the reply, I will be sending it back then :) 
    I had an old Sky box years ago and was never asked for that back when I cancelled, so assumed it would be the same now, but obviously not.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You will probably need to change your LNB as the Sky Q LNB works in a different way to the standard Sky/Freesat one
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2020 at 6:59PM
    steph2901 said:
    Thanks for the reply, I will be sending it back then :) 
    I had an old Sky box years ago and was never asked for that back when I cancelled, so assumed it would be the same now, but obviously not.
    When you own the sky box then you have to pay to get it repaired or replaced if it goes wrong. This would not be in Sky's interest as they are more likely to lose customers. They do mention it quite a lot on their web site
    We will loan you one Sky Q box, one Sky Q Mini and any other relevant kit, for no cost, for the time you have a Sky TV subscription.
    and
    Set-up: £20. Sky Q kit loaned to you at no cost & must be returned at end of your subscription.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You will probably need to change your LNB as the Sky Q LNB works in a different way to the standard Sky/Freesat one
    Is that still true? Are there no Freesat boxes that will use the Q LNB?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 February 2020 at 10:43PM

Are there no Freesat boxes that will use the Q LNB?
    Why would there be? Freesat does not have Sky Q functionality..
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Are there no Freesat boxes that will use the Q LNB?
    Why would there be? Freesat does not have Sky Q functionality..
    Just thought that many people have been seduced into upgrading to Q and then decide its too expensive, HAVE to send the box back - so there is a growing gap in the market for a Freesat box that can use the Q LNB ?
  • You will probably need to change your LNB as the Sky Q LNB works in a different way to the standard Sky/Freesat one
    What is that? Can you not just use a standard Freesat box with the dish that's there already?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    steph2901 said:
    What is that? Can you not just use a standard Freesat box with the dish that's there already?
    No, as has been explained the satellite dish's LNB (the module that sits on the arm of the dish) can only be used for the Sky Q service signal and won't work with a standard sky or freesat signal. Having said that, Sky have been installing hybrid LNBs that will work with both so you may be lucky and not have to change it after all.
  •  there is a growing gap in the market for a Freesat box that can use the Q LNB ?
    As I said, the Sky Q has functionality which is not replicated by any Freesat decoder and that situation is very unlikely to change. 

Most Freesat users are not simply ex-Sky subscribers  with old sky dishes..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure