New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Amsterdam On A Budget

29 replies 1.1K views
MSE_SarahMSE_Sarah MSE Staff
283 posts
Fifth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
MSE Staff
This is the discussion thread for the Amsterdam on a Budget guide. Please let us know your thoughts and suggestions.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    27K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 The link does not work - https’s server IP address could not be found.
    2 Without reading the article but someone who has been to Amsterdam a few times - flights are cheap (if bought early enough) but a decent hotel is likely to cost around £100 per night.
    3 Plenty of things to do and once you have found your bearings public transport - the trams- are easy to use and relatively cheap.
    4 Personally we would pay a bit extra to stay centrally rather than the outskirts or a hostel but to each their own.

What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 The link does not work - https’s server IP address could not be found.
    2 Without reading the article but someone who has been to Amsterdam a few times - flights are cheap (if bought early enough) but a decent hotel is likely to cost around £100 per night.
    3 Plenty of things to do and once you have found your bearings public transport - the trams- are easy to use and relatively cheap.
    4 Personally we would pay a bit extra to stay centrally rather than the outskirts or a hostel but to each their own.

Colon missing from the link: THIS will get you there. 

Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • BethPBethP Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts
    Love visiting Amsterdam.  Recommend the Ice Bar as a fun, different thing to do.  Also recommend eating at Vapiano. Delicious food.  Lots of different counters next to each other downstairs (there’s a lift). Canteen style. Spotlessly clean and very good value for money.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    21.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame about the museums, they cost a fortune!  €15-20 per person, outrageous compared to UK prices for proper museums. 
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • BoltonlassBoltonlass Forumite
    47 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Martin says in his latest newsletter that the card machines for  from train travel from the airport to the city do not accept foreign credit cards. Is this correct, I have never read that before and I am visiting in April?
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    21.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martin says in his latest newsletter that the card machines for  from train travel from the airport to the city do not accept foreign credit cards. Is this correct, I have never read that before and I am visiting in April?
    No, its not.  I think the newsletter says you can't use foreign cards online?
    Main line ticket machines take all foreign cards, Metro machines don't take Amex, but do take other foreign cards. 
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Link is now working :)
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    21.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We stayed in Leiden in November. Lovely place and very easily accessible by train from Amsterdam and Schiphol. Leiden is like a miniature Amsterdam and very interesting but hotels are better value than Amsterdam. 
  • SteveG2010SteveG2010 Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It is almost impossible to find a free public toilet in the center of Amsterdam. All the restaurants charge (or require a code number to get in), even in McDonalds, as do all of the department stores. The only free one I found was in the Central Railway station.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    21.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is almost impossible to find a free public toilet in the center of Amsterdam. All the restaurants charge (or require a code number to get in), even in McDonalds, as do all of the department stores. The only free one I found was in the Central Railway station.
    I was just trying to remember if I needed to go when I was there in November. :smiley:
    I used facilities next to a restaurant of a department store just down from the Central Station and also in the Rijksmuseum. In both cases I was a customer so not exactly free but no codes needed so I could have just walked in off the street.