Ryanair cancelled due to weather: elderly couple left stranded

Hello,

My elderly parents booked a Ryanair flight from Dublin to London at the weekend.

All went well until they arrived in Gatwick for the return flight which had been cancelled due to storm Ciara. They were notified of the cancellation by email when they were enroute to the airport

There were no Ryanair staff in Gatwick, just some handling agents. My parents went to the check in desk with an email from Ryanair stating that hotel accommodation will be provided etc., but was told Ryanair had give strict instructions no hotels or money for trains/Taxis Etc.

So they were left with a choice of sleeping in the airport or a £50 cab ride to a friends house which they had to pay for and told to make their way to Stansted the following day for an evening flight. This is really bad considering they are both in their late 70s, and are in a strange city.

How do they go about ensuring they get refunded for their cab ride and the train to Stansted today? Ryanair havent offered any help or guidance

They are not looking for a bunch of compensation, but just to be reimbursed for their out of pocket expenditure

Thoughts?

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 February 2020 at 7:03PM
    Just complete the web form on the Ryanair website for reasonable out of pocket expenses which fall under EU261 passenger duty of care.   As you mention there will be no EU261 financial compensation so make sure the claim is clear that it is just the expenses you are claiming for.
    https://eu261compensationclaims.ryanair.com/

I think the "refusal" not to provide hotel accommodation at Gatwick may have been a misunderstanding.  It was just that RyanAir's handling agent could not arrange this and ask passengers to make their own arrangements and reclaim from the airline.   Around 80 flights were cancelled at Gatwick yesterday with massive flight disruption and delays for thousands of passengers. There were simply not enough hotels with rooms available in the area.

FYI - Ryanair were flying LGW DUB LGW today. 

• we were we were stranded at Stanstead after flight was cancelled re booked 7 days later stuck so told by agent to hire a car now Ryanair are saying the was wrong. So out £600 as we had to get back to Plymouth and return 7 days later
  • Lot more info needed. First, put the flight details of your cancelled flight into online checkers euclaim and bottonline and see what they say. Even if your flight was cancelled they had a duty to put you on another airline at their expense. How did you get to Stanstead?
  • HI, Im in a similar predicament. 
    Sunday 9th flight cancelled due to storm Ciara by Ryan air. I was at Barcelona airport due to fly back to stanstead. Minimal assistance by Ryan air airport staff. I was advised any additional expenses I incurred I should keep receipts and email to Ryan air for reimbursement upon my return. I've followed that advise and Ryan air are refusing to reimburse as they are saying they have no online chat of them confirming this with me even though they told me they couldn't bring me back home until the Tuesday. Let me know how you get on with your request for expenses as I'm about to log a complaint with them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure