Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Thames Water stressing me out

New Post Advanced Search

Thames Water stressing me out

10 replies 201 views
florita1florita1 Forumite
50 posts
Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
I moved into my property in June 2017, I have called Thames Water three times to set up my water bill, the house is metered. 
Each time they have said it can take 50 odd day’s to set up. But each time they fail to sort it out. 

I’m worried I’m going to be hit with a huge bill. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? 

Replies

• florita1florita1 Forumite
    50 posts
    Actually husband has said we aren’t on meter. He’s the one who had spoken to them three times. 
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you written or emailed them?
    Did you note the water meter reading when you moved into the property?
    There is no 12 month back-billing provision for water as there is for gas or electricity. So it is probable that you will have to pay for 32 months water.
    Write to them!

50 posts
    Yes I will do that, unfortunately not done this thus far. 

Thanks 
    50 posts
    I called them again, and took a reference number. They acknowledge the delays and are only charging us since July last year - which is something. 

Weirdly they think they fitted a meter in the house last July (but they didn’t) so they are sending someone out to take a reading! 
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    AS you know you've got a water bill to pay then it's not unreasonable that you should put the money aside for when it does finally drop through the letterbox.
    I really cannot understand people who reckon that they get "stressed out etc" because they are expecting a bill but have not saved the money in anticipation and then expect to get the service for free, reduced or even compensation.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Thames Water would state 50 days.  When we moved into the Thames Water area last August, I made one phone to give my details and they said a bill would arrive within 10 days, which it did.
    50 posts
    AS you know you've got a water bill to pay then it's not unreasonable that you should put the money aside for when it does finally drop through the letterbox.
    I really cannot understand people who reckon that they get "stressed out etc" because they are expecting a bill but have not saved the money in anticipation and then expect to get the service for free, reduced or even compensation.
    Who said I havnt been saving the cash? Who said I wanted compensation or a reduced fee? 

I merely would like to be billed regularly for the service, rather than have to save an indeterminate amount of money for an indefinite period.   

Anyway, TW recognise their mistakes in this case and offered to write off two years of billing so it’s refreshing to know they at least have the empathy you lack. 

50 posts
    Talldave said:
    I don't understand why Thames Water would state 50 days.  When we moved into the Thames Water area last August, I made one phone to give my details and they said a bill would arrive within 10 days, which it did.
    They explained it was because it’s a newbuild. I have now spoken to my Neighbours who have experienced the same issues 
  • RelievedSheffRelievedSheff Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    florita1 said:
    Talldave said:
    They explained it was because it’s a newbuild. I have now spoken to my Neighbours who have experienced the same issues 
    If it is a new build it will have a water meter. They have been fitted to new builds as standard for many years.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    florita1 said:
    Who said I havnt been saving the cash? Who said I wanted compensation or a reduced fee? 

I merely would like to be billed regularly for the service, rather than have to save an indeterminate amount of money for an indefinite period.   

Anyway, TW recognise their mistakes in this case and offered to write off two years of billing so it’s refreshing to know they at least have the empathy you lack. 

You said that you were worried that you were going to be hit with a huge bill, which implies that you hadn't been saving for it.

You seem to have got the result that you hoped for by getting two years of free water which no doubt have been paid for by TW's customers
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers