10 years to go .... maybe, with a fair wind

Options

Comments

• Lauraebrad
    Lauraebrad Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's always going to be a bit slower saving / overpaying over the summer as there seem to be so many extra things to spend money on!  The small one is getting taller at an alarming rate, and actually had to buy new new clothes for him whilst on holiday. 
    My 'annual bills' fund is taking a battering this month as the car needs its air con fixing (today) which is an eye watering £350, and I also 'invested' in super early bird tickets for a local festival for 2022 which was £100 for us both.  
    So my main aim for the next three weeks before going away with my parents is to really rein back the unnecessary spends and get back on with some better meal planning.  Also to sneak in as many pr0lific studies as possible.
    I have a pile of small boys clothes a mile high in the attic which I also need to deal with - I keep seeing v1nted as the new best selling site so will try to have a go at selling at least something that way during August ..... 

Aiming for mortgage free by September 2030

Balance 1.1.20 - £69,701.80
    Balance 1.1.21 - £63,699.80
    Balance 1.1.22 - £57,762.80
    Balance 1.1.23 - £53,074.20
    Balance 1.1.24 - £47,902.00

over payments 2024 = £610/£1,200 /// invested 2024 = £400/£1,200 = TOTAL (YTD) £1,010
  • Grogged
    Grogged Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on the 50s! Great result.
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
  • Lauraebrad
    Options
    Well I didn't end up achieving much in August, and the pile of clothes to sell gets larger.  The small one needed new shoes, joggers AND trainers for school so feeling much poorer now.  
    Unfortunately my lovely dad died just over a week ago, so we didn't end up going on our much needed holiday (which was supposed to be with my parents).  He was only 73, and aside from the brain tumour that ended him, was really fit and well, and so adventurous that I'm gutted he didn't get to enjoy the long retirement he'd hoped.  It really brings it home why I'm trying to pay off this pesky mortgage and make savings so that I can enjoy my free time now and in the future, without having to work till I'm 68.  Not everything should be put off for retirement!  
    My mum rents their house, so having been helping with her finances over the last few days, it also make me realise how lucky I am to own a house that I can afford, and that I won't still be paying rent on at 68 like she is.  Depending on how her pension pans out (they don't have much in place), I might end up having to support my mum a bit financially which would slow the overpayments - but she is the most important thing at the moment. 

On a more positive note, I was able to make my usual overpayment and an extra £50 this month so £120 down.  Hoping that I'm still on track for £2400 overpayments this year (around 6 months).  Now the autumn has come and I'm back at the computer more, also hoping that there'll be more Pr0lific studies etc to stack up the pennies.  

over payments 2024 = £610/£1,200 /// invested 2024 = £400/£1,200 = TOTAL (YTD) £1,010
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,627 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry to read about your dad.
    Take care of you.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Grogged
    Options
    So sorry about your dad, thoughts are with you all.
    Take care, G.
  • powerspowers
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your dad, Lauraebrad. 
    I know it’s still early days, but make sure your mum has a benefit check at some point, there maybe things she’s entitled to if she’s renting and on a low income. 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,350 /£3,600

• Grogged
    Options
    The important thing is that you feel comfortable and that you're making progress.
    50/50 sounds like a sensible compromise.
    I'd plan on locking your investment away for 5 years in something you can't dip into.
    I don't know if you already have a stocks and shares ISA, if not v@nguard are cheap and a life strategy 60 should be suitable.
    If you're not comfortable with stocks then go for a normal fixed term savings best buy.

We went through the same thought process and for us, we went mortgage neutral.
    The big thing as you've said, is changing your mindset.
    We now just do small (nearest £5) weekly TT and review our investments monthly.
  • Lauraebrad
    Lauraebrad Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Gah - I'm struggling with maths, which isn't something I usually have a problem with!  I'm trying to figure out what difference investing would make when compared to overpaying my mortgage directly.  But somewhere it's getting very confused in my head!

I have exactly 15 years left on my mortgage this month.  So should be an easy time for mathematical wizardry.
    • If I overpay £200 per month it would be paid off 5 years 8 months early (i.e. in 9 years 4 month time).  Over that period I would have overpaid £22,400.
    • If I invest £200 per month (£21,600 investment total), with a 6% rate of return, over 9 years I would have £28,711.
    Clearly the investment gives me more money.  However, I'd obviously be accruing more mortgage interest over that time than if I was overpaying it directly.  So it's not a simple £6,000 difference ..... I assume therefore I need to work out what interest I'd pay over those 9 years.  How would I even begin to do that?!

What other information do I need to fully understand this comparison?  Any help very welcome - or link to more nuanced online calculators that could help me!!

TIA

• Grogged
    Options
    A very noddy way to do it is to use your mortgage rate.
    OP £200 on 1 Jan at a mortgage rate of 1% would save you £202 in the first year.
    Saving £200 on 1 Jan at 6% would be worth £212 in the first year.
    In that first year your investment made £10 more than the interest saved.
    You can plug in your own numbers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport