New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Cancelling gym contract

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
6 replies 391 views
norfolk_wbnorfolk_wb Forumite
25 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Hi all.

So I cancelled with Nuffield Fitness in December, because I'm moving away from the area.

- The person on the desk when I cancelled was very nice. I filled out a form, got it countersigned by them.
- I agreed that there was one month's notice.
- Took my form and walked away happy.
- I've just had another month taken out of my account.
- Phoned the gym: they're claiming they have no evidence I cancelled.

...what are my rights in this situation?

Cheers

NWB

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your rights are to tell them you cancelled, provide any evidence you can, and to make a complaint if needed.
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The receptionists at my branch of Nuffield have made mistakes too. They have always been helpful and good at sorting it out. So go back and talk to them again. Escalate to a manager if you need to.
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are various articles on the main MSE site regarding gym membership and cancelling :)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/search/#stq=gym&stp=1%20
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all.

So I cancelled with Nuffield Fitness in December, because I'm moving away from the area.

- The person on the desk when I cancelled was very nice. I filled out a form, got it countersigned by them.
    - I agreed that there was one month's notice.
    - Took my form and walked away happy.
    - I've just had another month taken out of my account.
    - Phoned the gym: they're claiming they have no evidence I cancelled.

...what are my rights in this situation?

Cheers

NWB
    Hopefully I'm being stupid here, but...as I read the above, you filled out (or filled in) a cancellation form, got it countersigned by a member of staff and then...you walked away with it?!  I hope you actually left the original form with them and then you walked away with a copy (?).

• edited 26 February at 10:58PM
    swaledale_oneswaledale_one Forumite
    37 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 26 February at 10:58PM
    Raise a charge back dispute with your bank if its a visa debit card ask them to simply raise a reason code 13.2 dispute and explain you withdrew permission to charge the account and that you cancelled the recurring transaction and ensure you give them a cancel date prior to when the money was taken from your account.  Most payment processers will fold straight away and wont dare go to pre-arb.  And no you dont need proof 99.99% of the time.
  • edited 27 February at 10:44AM
    Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 February at 10:44AM
    You're assuming the OP has actually cancelled the contract...they say they took the cancellation form away with them... :)

Or they need to think more before they type...