Discount Duck’s Quest For Mortgage Freedom

1141516171820»

Comments

• Hi discount duck, 

Just stopping by, we also visited the world museum this week! The Egyptian floor was awesome! We were mesmerised by the octopus-As you say fantastic day out for free (not taking into account a few treats!) I am still trying to find the balance of mortgage free and childhood memories too!

I am also that person that finds it difficult to say no, ‘certain’ others seem to know that too which is frustrating. I attended a course through work on assertiveness which helped. I now have a standard response ‘oh I’m not sure I can actually but I’ll let you know’ This way I have space to decide if I can/want too/have time. 

I think I will also be around 45 but for me I look at how many years I can shave off and how much interest I’ll have saved. That stops the conflict in my mind of ‘well I could do it in 5 years if I never left the house! 

You’re doing great 🙂
  • MF by 45 would be a fantastic achievement and is similar to what I’m aiming for. Well done on the lump sum and it sounds like you’re managing to stay on top of all the things you are juggling. I find it hard to say no too but I think mentioning your other commitments is an easier way to say no. You mentioned counselling, I bet there’s some free resources for CBT online? It’s all about how does the thought of something (ie saying no) make you feel, reassessing your thoughts and then experimenting with it and seeing what the reality is. 
    It sounds like you’ve made progress with your uncles finances and I’m glad people were helpful. Local authorities have been given more funding to support people this winter but I think Leicstershire is spending it on school holiday vouchers (which is good but no use to older people 😠) if he’s in a different area there might be more help. 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,075 /£3,600

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A POA is easy to DIY & I am sure the cost is means tested so I think it may well be free.  I did my own a couple of years ago & even full price they were "only" £82 each.  It is worth getting them done properly for the future as you never know what might crop up.  By properly I do mean DIY but it is better to have it all official.  Do it now before his benefits cut in!  Well done you for dealing with it.

Do you (and your Mum) have them in place.  You should have!  Martin's had them for years.
  • The Egyptian room sounds fabulous.
    On the boundaries maybe try saying ' I need to check my calendar first, as as much as I'd like to help I have a lot of people I am looking after at present'. Then go home and actually look at whats is coming up in the next couple months so you know if you can find the time

Have you all been to the British Museum Egyptian treasures - it is my fav museum in the world, most items gathered I know by stealing when the British Empire was a thing - but just so wonderful
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • Hope you’re all having a good new year. Since last coming on here it’s been up and down. I had Covid, which hit me really hard, but I also managed to get through all of the paperwork to get my uncle his benefits and they’ve granted them! He’s so happy, and I’m the golden girl now. 

For Christmas I managed to get Egypt obsessed DS this amazing pharaoh chess table with all the pieces, from ebay at £75. I’ve not seen anything remotely similar anywhere near my price range. He was thrilled. DD got jewellery making stuff for her seaglass. Family and friends were brilliant and bought books, fluffy pjs etc and No Plastic Tat.  

The charity shops have been an amazing godsend to me with everyone’s new year clear outs of their kids unwanted books having allowed me to build up a stash for DS to read, and some for DD too as she’s got her reading mojo back. I’ve taken in loads of our outgrown stuff and the big de clutter is going well. 

Also, the kids were keen to join audible. At 7.99 for one book I was very unimpressed with this idea, but they love an audiobook. My stepmum put me onto Borrow Box, which is a fantastic app run by the library service - just like audible but free. We love it. 

Some relatives sent me money for Christmas, which I took the kids out for a day round Desford Tropical Bird Gardens with, then overpaid the mortgage with the rest. I’m dreaming of being mortgage free. I’m one posh car value away from the house actually being mine now.

I do think I need to improve my credit though. Because I don’t have any, as I save and buy as I go, I think I maybe need to start using my bank credit card I’ve had for years but it makes me nervous. I don’t want a new credit card, although I know there’s better deals, I just want to understand how to use this one and if it will help lenders recognise that I exist! 
  • Good to hear from you @DiscountDuck sorry that you caught Covid, I hope you haven't had any long lasting effects.

Well done on sorting out your Uncles benefits for him, that must of been a weight off both your shoulders.

Glad you have discovered the library's free eAudiobooks, most library authorities online services include access to magazines (including children's) and newspapers as well as books and audiobooks. Worth taking some time to investigate.

With the credit card could you set yourself some rules, like you only use it in certain shops, or to buy set things, obviously stick to a budget and pay it off in full each month. You won't need to spend lots on it for your credit rating to improve, just steady use.

We too are dreaming of being mortgage free.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,106
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Happy new year Duck 

I agree with the advice to use cc for certain shops- I use mine for bigger purchases and eBay, clearing it off in the month I use it. OH puts fuel on his and clears it off each month. I’m not sure how much difference it really makes to your credit though- if you are paying a mortgage and are named on the bills then you do have a credit file. Lenders don’t care about the score, they are looking if you can pay it back! 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,075 /£3,600

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills