Massive rise in Nat West overdraft cost

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
13 replies 1.1K views
SendInTheClownsSendInTheClowns Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
Help!

A quick overview of my situation. I have struggled with significant debt (£40k+) for the past ten years. Last year, I had three options. 1. Bankruptcy. 2. Contact all the companies I owe and sort out sensible repayments. 3. Do something silly.

I chose option two. I contacted all my credit card companies and all were understanding and put me onto repayment plans. All going well, no payments missed in the last year.

The only issue I had was with Nat West. I have a £5k overdraft with them and am regularly up to (but never over) that figure. I asked for a loan to pay them off and it was refused.

I pay £70 per month in overdraft fees to Nat West which isn't ideal but it is what it is. Yesterday I was notified of their 100 per cent increase in overdraft interest from April 2. This means my payments will rise to £140 per month.

I've just been in to see them and explain my circumstances and they couldn't give two hoots. "All banks are doing this". I explained it was going to put me in financial hardship and mean I am even less likely than ever to get out of their debt. I received a shrug. A literal shrug.

After a year of actually having some money my mental health has improved dramatically, my relationship with my kids has improved etc and now this. I am genuinely now think of going bankrupt just to annoy Nat West.

I can't understand why all the credit card companies have been so understand and Nat West couldn't care less. Any thoughts?

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides