Massive rise in Nat West overdraft cost

Options
Help!

A quick overview of my situation. I have struggled with significant debt (£40k+) for the past ten years. Last year, I had three options. 1. Bankruptcy. 2. Contact all the companies I owe and sort out sensible repayments. 3. Do something silly.

I chose option two. I contacted all my credit card companies and all were understanding and put me onto repayment plans. All going well, no payments missed in the last year.

The only issue I had was with Nat West. I have a £5k overdraft with them and am regularly up to (but never over) that figure. I asked for a loan to pay them off and it was refused.

I pay £70 per month in overdraft fees to Nat West which isn't ideal but it is what it is. Yesterday I was notified of their 100 per cent increase in overdraft interest from April 2. This means my payments will rise to £140 per month.

I've just been in to see them and explain my circumstances and they couldn't give two hoots. "All banks are doing this". I explained it was going to put me in financial hardship and mean I am even less likely than ever to get out of their debt. I received a shrug. A literal shrug.

After a year of actually having some money my mental health has improved dramatically, my relationship with my kids has improved etc and now this. I am genuinely now think of going bankrupt just to annoy Nat West.

I can't understand why all the credit card companies have been so understand and Nat West couldn't care less. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 January 2020 at 2:04PM
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If it were me, I would firstly open up a current bank account from a banking group with whom I have no debts.
    Then secondly I would have all my future income paid into my nice new shiny account.
    Thirdly, I would then withhold repayments on the overdraft until the account is defaulted. (Because once the account is defaulted, interest and fees will be frozen.)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Help!

All banks are doing this".

they are correct, all banks are changing the way they charge on overdrafts from next month
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe go onto an IVA.

You wont be getting out of the hole in the next 10 years without a lottery win.

Good luck
  • SendInTheClowns
    Options
    I don't have any assets - no house and car is leased. Is IVA preferable to bankruptcy in this case?
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Why are you talking about IVA or bankruptcy? How much do you owe all your creditors in total?

If it were me, I would complete a Statement of Affairs (SOA) and then paste it up into a new thread within the Debt-Free Wannabe (DFW) board. By posting your SOA in the DFW board, we would see your exact circumstances and would then be able to explore all options. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A DRO might work if you have other debts as well?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't have any assets - no house and car is leased. Is IVA preferable to bankruptcy in this case?

For a 5k debt you will not be looking at an insolvency solution, debt management at the very worst will be the chosen option.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Presumably you have other debt as well as the £5k overdraft? Open a new basic account elsewhere with a new bank not linked to Nat West or any other of your lenders. Move all your income into there. The problem with going bankrupt is the leased car will have to go back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • georgia_c
    Options
    i have had my concerns about this aswell, I am doing my best to consolidate my debts asap before this happens
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    georgia_c wrote: »
    i have had my concerns about this aswell, I am doing my best to consolidate my debts asap before this happens

Consolidate rarely works, maybe you should post over on the dfw board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure