New Post Advanced Search

Boiler help.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
5 replies 811 views
Gizmo21Gizmo21 Forumite
52 posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
Hi. Inwas wondering if anyone could help me with a little bit of advice. We've been having problems with our boiler rumbling/vibrating. It's an ongoing issue as they don't know what's wrong so we just have to keep calling them out. Today they said to try and get a video of it, so I have. Has anyone any idea what this could be. I'm absolutely terrified. They keep saying it wont blow up as there's no error code. But I'm constantly on edge and nearly in tears.....how do I upload a video?

Replies

• TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Upload the video somewhere and post a link?

There aren't that many parts of a boiler capable of rumbling or vibrating, so it's probably the pump on its way out. If you kill the power to the boiler whilst it's rumbling, does the noise stop instantly?
  • Gizmo21Gizmo21 Forumite
    52 posts
    Funnily enough, yes it does stop when we do that. I wonder if that's what it is. Thank you!!
  • sgunsgun Forumite
    582 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Think about it, how often do you hear about boilers blowing up? Our old oil boiler is so loud starting up it made the apprentice engineer who came for the service jump out of his skin. He was terrified lol. We call it the dragon.

I got the heating engineer to talk me through every bit of the service, he showed me how to take it all apart and what all the components did. Now obviously I'm not going to fiddle on myself but now I know how it all works I know how safe it really is. Perhaps getting someone to show you the inner workings would help.

Also, do listen to the experts. They're not going to lie to you!
  • Gizmo21Gizmo21 Forumite
    52 posts
    I know, it's rarely heard of, although there was a boiler go bang in a town near me a month or so ago, but I know.it doesnt happen much. The engineer still has no idea what is causing it, it's a mystery. I have to admit, he has been great and has talked me through a few things so I'm a lot calmer than what I was. It's hard for an anxiety sufferer not to think the very worst case scenario.
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    33.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anything's going to "blow up", it'll be because of a gas leak (which you'd smell), not because of a rumbly vibration - that's either going to be mechanical (pump bearing) or some kind of localised boiling. The fact it stops instantly the power's off says mechanical.

It shouldn't be hard for them to narrow down exactly where it's coming from - there aren't that many likely sources, and a long screwdriver makes a perfectly workable stethoscope.