Overlimit charges every month

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
4 replies 707 views
rattyryanrattyryan Forumite
13 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi, I had a direct debit set up to clear the whole balance of my credit card and then one day it bounced. I had already spent the balance on that card as I get airmiles on it before the direct debit bounced meaning the balance doubled and took my twice as much over my limit.
I have been paying off the over limit balance but I keep getting charged £12 every month overlimit fee. Is there any way to get this refunded?

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying you've been charged the over limit fee even for a statement period in which your balance hasn't exceeded your limit (bearing in mind that such charges will typically be levied in arrears)?
  • edited 30 January 2020 at 1:58PM
    reduxredux Forumite
    22.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January 2020 at 1:58PM
    Paying off only just the overlimit amount won't be enough if you're still spending, or if interest will be added on the next statement.

Try and get a few quid more into there, like a manual extra payment.

If you ring up apologetically and ask them to explain it to you, there might be a chance of them waiving it on a goodwill basis, but usually only the first time.
  • MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds as if you have not cleared the balance that was remaining as a result of the DD bouncing. You need to make a manual payment to catch up and within a couple of billing cycles the over limit and interest charges will disappear.

You will be unlikely to get a refund of the over limit charges if you have allowed this to carry on for several months.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will only get a over limit fee for any statement period you are over your limit.

So how many months has this been going on?

Can't believe that they will let you keep going over limit for more than a couple of months before blocking cards.
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides