IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Private Parking Charge Retailer Closed Down

Hi
I parked at an Office Outlet retail car park in Preston in December but when I got out of my car I noticed that the store had closed down. I walked around the corner to ask a neighbouring business owner if they knew where they had moved to. I was less than 10 minutes before returning to my car and driving away. I received a PCN from PCN (NW) Ltd for £60 so I appealed to them stating The above but they refused the appeal simply stating I did not enter the shop premises. As I wasn’t physically able to enter the shop as it was empty do I have reasonable grounds to simply ignore the charge and hope they don’t take me to court ?

Comments

• BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just await the letters from UCS etc etc
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    await any LBC or court papers within 6 years and ignore the debt collectors
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2020 at 1:21PM
    Let them take you too court. From what you have told us they are lkely to crash and burn. You might also have a chance of being awarded costs for unreasonable behaviour.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Thanks all for the replies. I have made a complaint yesterday to the IPC regarding unreasonable practice so will post the outcome of that when received. I won't do anything else unless I receive an LBC letter
  • Thanks all for the replies. I have made a complaint yesterday to the IPC regarding unreasonable practice so will post the outcome of that when received. I won't do anything else unless I receive an LBC letter

let us know the reply
  • this was the reply I received from the IPC

• D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Might be worth showing to a judge
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Did you make it clear this was a complaint and not an appeal?
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Something you can do right now is to complain to the land owner or land management agent.  Most tricky thing about this - and it's not usually all that tricky - is to identify who they are.  Somebody owns or manages that land.  Chances are quite a few people are getting stung in the same way.  Vigorous and confident complaint / request for cancellation of PCN required ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure