Silent bathroom pull cord switch?

Options
Hi, we have really loud pull cord switches in our bathrooms to turn on the lights (upstairs and down stairs) which make such a "clunk" when you click them on and off that it wakes you up! (possibly because the bathrooms are tiled it adds to the echo/sound the switch creates also)

Is there such a thing as a silent pull cord switch?

I definitely don't want to add a switch light to the outside of the bathroom, its going to be too expensive and requite too much work. So any idea what my options are please?

Thanks

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    https://www.electricalworld.com/en/Eterna-Bathroom-Light-Pull-Switch-Soft-Pull-No-Click-Dimming/m-1605.aspx

Not a clue what these are like but just the first one a search engine threw up
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Install a wifi bulb and control it from your phone for complete silence.

For even more fun get one you can change the colour of to suit your needs!
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Replace the switch with a motion sensor.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »

That's no good if you only need a pee.:rotfl:
  • renegadefm
    renegadefm Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I paded my switch out with cotton wool and its now almost silent. But you would need to know what your doing to achieve this as it involves taking the switch apart, which of course involves disconnecting the wires and rewiring back up after you have doctored the switch with cotton wool. Also you have to locate the wool around the part that clicks only, not anywhere near the workings or it can cause fire.
    Its worked for me for years, but you really need to know what your doing.

I have taken them apart for other reasons to replace the cord, so its nothing odd about taking them apart.
  • dezz99
    dezz99 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.electricalworld.com/en/Eterna-Bathroom-Light-Pull-Switch-Soft-Pull-No-Click-Dimming/m-1605.aspx

Not a clue what these are like but just the first one a search engine threw up

Thanks i had a look at one of these before but it says no LED bulbs. My bathrooms use a GU10 AND g9 BULBS so i dont think it will work?
  • dezz99
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Install a wifi bulb and control it from your phone for complete silence.

For even more fun get one you can change the colour of to suit your needs!

Thanks. Is it possible to get a wifi bulb and some type of wireless switch that i can put outside the bathroom?

My parents won't be able to use a smart phone every time they go to the bathroom...
  • dezz99
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »

Thanks. Do you have a link to the type of motion sensor i could use please?

I have done some research and heard about PIR motion sensors, are they the ones you mean?
  • dezz99
    Options
    renegadefm wrote: »
    I paded my switch out with cotton wool and its now almost silent. But you would need to know what your doing to achieve this as it involves taking the switch apart, which of course involves disconnecting the wires and rewiring back up after you have doctored the switch with cotton wool. Also you have to locate the wool around the part that clicks only, not anywhere near the workings or it can cause fire.
    Its worked for me for years, but you really need to know what your doing.

I have taken them apart for other reasons to replace the cord, so its nothing odd about taking them apart.

I did take the pull cord apart and noticed its the spring mechanism thats causing the noise (and also the fact that the bathrooms are fully tiled which amplifies the noise and echo's it)

But im not sure about putting the wall in, i know it would work, but in case of fire i think the insurance company would find that suspect?!
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of these stuck on wall is an alternative for nighttime visits
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cupboard-Lights-Super-Bright-Adhesive/dp/B07HLLCM2F
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback